General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

teh_rapist

So without reading any of the thread or any of the arguments, I just wanted to verify - is Vendetta the only one in this thread with actual education/experience as far as teaching in/running American schools goes?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_rapist View Post
So without reading any of the thread or any of the arguments, I just wanted to verify - is Vendetta the only one in this thread with actual education/experience as far as teaching in/running American schools goes?

>implying you need to work as a teacher for a decade to see when something is a hysterical over reaction...

teh_rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
>implying you need to work as a teacher for a decade to see when something is a hysterical over reaction...

implying nothing. and that didn't really answer my question either.

micdayg0

Yes, I would ask a 60 year old English teacher to do the same. And oddly enough, the 60 year old English teacher would have probably handled the situation better than some 28 year old history teacher in the room next to him/her.

Last edited by micdayg0; 10-13-2011 at 12:14 AM..

micdayg0

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_rapist View Post
implying nothing. and that didn't really answer my question either.

What does your question have to do with anything?

micdayg0

From what I'm gathering, the point here isn't that no-tolerance policy is inherently wrong...policy like this looks out for the well-being of everyone and in this day and age, is unfortunately necessary. It's the fact that it was followed so blindly that a 3rd grader with a novelty item was held in the same regard as a militant terrorist. Everyone here saying the teacher should have confiscated the grenade, contacted the parents, and then instructed the child not to bring it to school again, is right. This was blown way out of proportion because people use policies like this as an excuse to remove themselves from any expectation of common sense and responsibility. It's stupid and an utter shame that this kid be expelled or whatever because of this.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

though on the other hand the kid in all likelihood IS a dumb fuck idiot for doing this, or was intentionally trying to push the envelope.

where the fuck are the parents in all of this?

all parties involved seem to lack common sense...but at least the kid has an excuse. he's fucking eight

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

Quote:
though on the other hand the kid in all likelihood IS a dumb fuck idiot for doing this, or was intentionally trying to push the envelope.

all parties involved seem to lack common sense...but at least the kid has an excuse. he's fucking eight

yeah an 8 year old was really trying to push the envelope

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcric View Post
yeah an 8 year old was really trying to push the envelope

you don't spend much time with kids do you?

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
the fuck i did, quit putting words in my mouth

I didn't.

You really should learn English before you make claims then.

Your sentence flat out said that every school has someone that can recognize the difference prior to calling in the experts.

Coqui

Quote:

The kid isn't, the parent is. 8 year olds don't really know any better.

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by micdayg0 View Post
From what I'm gathering, the point here isn't that no-tolerance policy is inherently wrong...policy like this looks out for the well-being of everyone and in this day and age, is unfortunately necessary. It's the fact that it was followed so blindly that a 3rd grader with a novelty item was held in the same regard as a militant terrorist. Everyone here saying the teacher should have confiscated the grenade, contacted the parents, and then instructed the child not to bring it to school again, is right. This was blown way out of proportion because people use policies like this as an excuse to remove themselves from any expectation of common sense and responsibility. It's stupid and an utter shame that this kid be expelled or whatever because of this.

Ah, once again. The benefit of hindsight. I'll ask you the same thing: if the grenade had been real--or if it had been fake but someone stuffed it with something dangerous--and it went off and injured or killed the teacher or a student, what would your argument be? Would you ask where the bomb squad was? Would you criticize the teacher who never handles explosives for being careless?

But again, I don't think the student should be expelled. The schools must walk a fine line here, violations of the policy, either purposefully or accidentally, need appropriate response. If it becomes known that telling the school it was an accident or you meant no harm only gets a slap on the wrist, then the entire policy is without teeth and would collapse. I think alternative punishments work besides expulsion.

Punishment aside, the reaction of the school was appropriate.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Ah, once again. The benefit of hindsight. I'll ask you the same thing: if the grenade had been real--or if it had been fake but someone stuffed it with something dangerous--and it went off and injured or killed the teacher or a student, what would your argument be? Would you ask where the bomb squad was? Would you criticize the teacher who never handles explosives for being careless?

But again, I don't think the student should be expelled. The schools must walk a fine line here, violations of the policy, either purposefully or accidentally, need appropriate response. If it becomes known that telling the school it was an accident or you meant no harm only gets a slap on the wrist, then the entire policy is without teeth and would collapse. I think alternative punishments work besides expulsion.

Punishment aside, the reaction of the school was appropriate.

If it went off, there'd be lawsuit after lawsuit, everyone would be fired, and then a zero tolerance policy would have ensued.....after a few people had to die for it.

Phil Taylor
I'll be back

my first day of what would be called highschool was on the day of 9/11.

but yeah, nobody gave a shit about that sort of stuff here. kids would light their ciggies with novelty gun lighters...imagine a 14-year-old holding what appears to be a full-sized luger to his own face. we were all carrying those extendible batons around in case any of the older kids got a bit too full of himself, and knives on our keyrings so we could carve our names into the desks. this was before my country really worked out that your threat = our threat, though.

they were strange times, but good times. you'd be in serious trouble for any of this stuff now, but at the time nobody gave a shit and nobody really got hurt.

nigga, you just made me click "go advanced"...

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
The kid isn't, the parent is. 8 year olds don't really know any better.

...if you grow up with a father who bothers to take some time off from watching tv and spend more time beating some sense into you you'll realize that bringing anything that even remotely resembles a weapon to school in this day and age is probably a bad idea, even at an extremely young age.