General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Actually there were some school shootings in the 1940s. In NYC alone, there was a shooting in 1946 at PS 147; in 1946 at St Benedicts Parochial School; in 1949 at Stuyvescent HS. In 1950 at a HS dance. In fact, in 1953 a student was shot accidentally in school when looking at a handmade pistol brought in by another student.

Why should bringing one gun to blast away one student be different in policy response to someone like the VT massacre? I'm not following your argument here, but I may be misunderstanding it.

You just don't know with anyone these days. Sure, Suzy from down the block is probably a good kid. And Johnny never wants to hurt anyone, but might bring in a gun or a fake grenade he found on the side of the road to show his friends. He didn't know the grenade was actually filled with something else and left there.

Are these extreme situations? Of course they are. But you're asking a teacher, who wants to teach...fuck I don't know, Elementary School Art, to not have a care in the world with inspecting a grenade. That teacher doesnt know it's truly deactivated--and though inspecting it would likely reveal the truth, it could also be something the student found walking to school, and be more dangerous than it seems (not a real grenade, but perhaps stuffed with some chemical, or explosive).

Common sense would dictate that yes, it's just a fake grenade some careless kid brought in for show and tell. But the teacher doesn't want to be the one to make the wrong call and blow her hand off

edit; or, more likely, the teacher doesn't want to be the one to inspect the grenade, find it fake, and confiscate it. Only to have Dickhead Kid #4 go home and tell mommy and daddy all about it, and then those parents raise ALL FUCKING HOLY HELL on the school.

I've seen it happen, and it sucks.

...and ya never know, that backpack just could be a nuke!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post

yeah, that scope should never be mounted on an AR, and on the handle, no less!

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

oh god somebody call social services NOW

wwilliam54

Quote:
Also, as I hope you all realize this: I don't argue this because I think that 8 year old is secretly a monster who deserves to be expelled. I'm sure he legitimately thought it was harmless and thought it would be cool for show and tell. But I also know that not every kid is like that. Some kids are fucked up, and design explosives and play with weapons. But rather than blowing up mole hills in their backyards, some kids like to inflict harm on others (or hell, even do it accidentally). And these situations can, and do, happen.

I argue this because I can put myself in the shoes of a teacher, and seeing a student bring an item that could be a weapon. And when you are in the position responsible for the safety of others, and do not (or cannot) know the extent of the threat, you get someone who does. I, for one, would not want to tell a 60 year old English teacher to go inspect a device that looks and feels like a weapon, if I knew there was a chance that deactivated weapon might not be what it seems.

I just have to say that I think knowing all involved personally has colored my response. The kid is a good kid who does well in school and is popular.

virgintard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilliam54 View Post
http://www2.whlt.com/news/2011/oct/0...de-ar-2518398/

damn that anchor is ugly

third grader brought grenade paperweight to school and they called the bombsquad???

I wouldn't say she is ugly, but she is overweight.

Coqui

Quote:
I just have to say that I think knowing all involved personally has colored my response. The kid is a good kid who does well in school and is popular.

And you were asking the opinion of a bunch of people who know no one involved and have to go solely by the article you posted.

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
And you were asking the opinion of a bunch of people who know no one involved and have to go solely by the article you posted.

how else would i get a straight answer

Coqui

Quote:
how else would i get a straight answer

Just seems you've been a little defensive when some of us were supporting the schools decision, that's all.

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Just seems you've been a little defensive when some of us were supporting the schools decision, that's all.

That's forgivable. I would expect everyone here to be as well if it was thier friends kid.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
If a teacher sees a grenade, they must assume it is real or at the least, that they dont know. Because the penalty of being wrong--that it is just another dud grenade and they wasted the time of the bomb squad and evav'ed the school--is greater than the penalty of being right.

here's what i don't get, why not confiscate the thing, put it in your desk, then call Mr Jenkins; who the kids laugh at because he twitches as a result of being in the Army and doing a tour or two over in Afghanistan
if Mr Jenkins starts twitching uncontrollably, call the bomb squad

if someone can determine it's not a threat, why not take care of it then?

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Rancidpunk666

Jeez, I know I'm not as old as most people on here I graudated HS in 2004 and I remember others bringing in deactivated greandes for show and tell, I remember dressing as a cow boy for halloween once and bringing in the toy gun along with every other 2nd grader and no one freaked out...
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

G-Daddy
I love my mother. No, I REALLY love her. In the butt.

1st post in the pit. Hi.
posting without watching OP's link

imagine if the teacher had done nothing, the thing wasn't a Dud. this thread would still be exactly the same.
1ccff0ae11de8623189c9693877fcddf

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post
Jeez, I know I'm not as old as most people on here I graudated HS in 2004 and I remember others bringing in deactivated greandes for show and tell, I remember dressing as a cow boy for halloween once and bringing in the toy gun along with every other 2nd grader and no one freaked out...

And I'm older than you and remember having to worry about gang fights and school shootings. Everyone's experience here is different.