General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
I would hope that teachers would have some common sense, but I guess that is too much to expect

FUCK IT CALL THE BOMB SQUAD

For one thing, I think that's unfair. As I said earlier, even a teacher that inspected the grenade and found it to be fake and then let the day progress is at risk. Guaranteed, irate parents that heard "JOHNNY BROUGHT THIS COOL GRENADE IN TODAY" when their kid went home would riot that fucking school, and the teacher would likely be sanctioned. Again it's easy to lambast the teacher for this when it wasn't your job at risk here.

Second, I think common sense could apply if teachers didn't have to worry about violence, even accidental violence, that emerges from weapons in the school.

The reason for this is what I said earlier. You are, obviously and justifiably, well versed in weapons. But would you expect a teacher who has never held a weapon, let alone a grenade to want to take the risk? Not even if they could tell the difference between a fake and a real, I'm asking if you'd expect them to want to pick up something that looks exactly like a grenade to "see if it's fake", given that stranger things have happened in a school (read: pipe bombs up the fuckin wazoo).

Finally, you're asking a teacher to do this when surrounded by other children. You have the benefit of hindsight knowing it was fake. If it was real and something happened, would you have critizied the teacher for being a dumbass guilty of improper firearm handling? or would you have asked where the bomb squad was?

Avoiding risk because of low probability of a problematic event is very common. However, adding the variables of lots of little kids into the equation makes me argue that it is always better to err on the side of caution.

Finally, on your argument about backpacks maybe being nukes. You know we have metal detectors and xray scanners for persons and bags here in nyc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

GET OFF MY LAWN

I went to school I suppose in a more innocent time. I guess it is equally as sad that things have changed so much for the worse since I was in school and that I am so old that I have seen this change.

True story: I took a bayonet to school for show and tell. It was one my grandfather had taken from a Jap he greased in WWII.

Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
GET OFF MY LAWN

I went to school I suppose in a more innocent time. I guess it is equally as sad that things have changed so much for the worse since I was in school and that I am so old that I have seen this change.

True story: I took a bayonet to school for show and tell. It was one my grandfather had taken from a Jap he greased in WWII.

It really is a disappointing product of the times. Back when I was in HS, the big thing was not being allowed cell phones in school because it was a distraction. Weapons were of course illegal, but at the time it was a "leave it in your car" type policy, if I recall correctly.

Then Columbine happened, and I couldn't even wear my black topcoat to school. Shit started to take a turn.

Hell I remember when we had archery in PE. I doubt that shit is allowed anymore.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
It really is a disappointing product of the times. Back when I was in HS, the big thing was not being allowed cell phones in school because it was a distraction. Weapons were of course illegal, but at the time it was a "leave it in your car" type policy, if I recall correctly.

Then Columbine happened, and I couldn't even wear my black topcoat to school. Shit started to take a turn.

Hell I remember when we had archery in PE. I doubt that shit is allowed anymore.

Yeah it's crazy now. Much of what we did commonly in HS is now a felony. We had guns in our cars and pocketknives were as common as nickels or dimes.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

The shit I used to do for fun in college (and never hurt myself or anyone else while I was doing it) would land me a lifetime sentence in federal pound you in the ass prison in today's world. I'm afraid to even talk about what I used to do just because someone might get the wrong idea.

Forever Domon

Quote:

how the fuck young are you....

They had cell phones when you were in high school?

or are we talking giantass car-phone type cell phones

Forever Domon

Quote:
You would assume. That's great, for you. Remember that event I cited back in February? With the in-tact firing pin? The kid filled the hollowed grenade with something and then taped it up so it looked and felt just like a grenade.

Not everyone is familiar with, or comfortable around, firearms and explosive devices. They do not know the availability / procurement probability of such things. They do not know what exactly to look for to ensure that it is faked. Especialy how many faked weapons look real, and many real weapons can be made to look fake.

My argument is: you have a unique position. You know a lot about weapons, and as you have repeatedly stated, you would accept the risk associated with inspecting a weapon (with the added benefit of knowing in all likelihood it is no threat at all).

Teachers do not often ahve that luxury. They also are responsible for the lives of the other 30 kids in the classroom. In this situation, a teacher sees a grenade. They don't know for sure if it is real, or if it is fake. Or if it is faked, if it has been modified by some deviant to be dangerous. All extreme cases. But the appropriate thing to do is for the teacher to evac the classroom, and call someone who is capable of dealing with such a situation. Because if the teacher was WRONG, and it was dangerous, and tried to just inspect it....and boom? What is the bigger problem here?
i dont think you understand what a firing pin is

this may be a clear case of the shoulder thing that goes up

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

yeah, I didn't get the "firing pin still attached" bit. I just guessed that meant that the grenade still hat the pin and hammer/lever attached to it so that it looked like a complete unit that might still be functional.

Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
i dont think you understand what a firing pin is

this may be a clear case of the shoulder thing that goes up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
yeah, I didn't get the "firing pin still attached" bit. I just guessed that meant that the grenade still hat the pin and hammer/lever attached to it so that it looked like a complete unit that might still be functional.

Fuck you domon, you condescending ass. According to the Lt. from the Sherrif's department that was called after the February event in LA, the student brought in a family heirloom. The grenade still had an active firing pin but with the explosive material removed. The greande looked to be just like a real grenade, unable to be determiend to be a paperweight just by looking at it.

Forever Domon

The sheriff's department may have had a clear case of the shoulder thing that goes up then too. Because theres no part of a grenade thats known as a firing pin.

Are you talking about the percussive cap? Because it would make zero sense to take out the RDX, but leave the blasting cap.

asdsad
pwned

here come the gun/explosives nerds

Vendetta

Quote:
The sheriff's department may have had a clear case of the shoulder thing that goes up then too. Because theres no part of a grenade thats known as a firing pin.

Are you talking about the percussive cap? Because it would make zero sense to take out the RDX, but leave the blasting cap.

From that diagram I think it's safe to say they were referring to the striker. Pull the pin, release the lever, striker goes down. Based on the reoport of it being "active", that would make sense and they got the terminology wrong. They could have been referring to the percussive cap, I don't know. At least in the case in LA, there was no mention of any actual detonation or sound. However in Miami, one student did bring a practice grenade that had the percussive cap (and presumably detonator?) but no explosive material.

Forever Domon

Quote:
From that diagram I think it's safe to say they were referring to the striker. Pull the pin, release the lever, striker goes down. Based on the reoport of it being "active", that would make sense and they got the terminology wrong. They could have been referring to the percussive cap, I don't know. At least in the case in LA, there was no mention of any actual detonation or sound. However in Miami, one student did bring a practice grenade that had the percussive cap (and presumably detonator?) but no explosive material.
the striker going down presents zero threat though. Thats only a danger if the percussive cape is there, and more specifically the detonator.

A percussive cap has about the bang of a couple bag of snaps (those little firecrackers). Just enough to light a fuse. Then the fuse goes to the detonator, which has a big enough bang to take a finger off. Which then detonates the core RDX which will blow you right the fuck up.

wwilliam54

Quote:
the striker going down presents zero threat though. Thats only a danger if the percussive cape is there, and more specifically the detonator.

A percussive cap has about the bang of a couple bag of snaps (those little firecrackers). Just enough to light a fuse. Then the fuse goes to the detonator, which has a big enough bang to take a finger off. Which then detonates the core RDX which will blow you right the fuck up.
It had the cap, but no detonator, the body was completely hollow with a huge hole in the bottom

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilliam54 View Post
It had the cap, but no detonator, the body was completely hollow with a huge hole in the bottom
yep, as thats all one unit