General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

JCviggen

So he didn't actually say he was better, but kinda sort implied it. You could also say he's admitting he's pretty bad just not as bad as the alternatives.
Everybody with more than 3 braincells can see the current crop of republicans in the primaries are spectacularly bad choices for president.

Instead of the braindead reality TV media jumping on these kind of things maybe they should spend a little bit more time discussing the problem that the effective 2-party system is churning out one poor leader after another, and still no other party has a snowball's chance in hell of getting in.
What does that say about American voters?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by illig View Post
he's one of the few presidents in recent history that's actually done some of what he promised - healthcare, gays in the military, and troops out of iraq/afghanistan (soon)

and my other choices are what:

Rick No-Homo Perry

Michele Bush-IQ-with-a-vagina Bachmann

Mitt Ignore-Socialized-Healthcare-I-Instituted-in-Mass Romney

Newt No-platform Gingrich

And a bunch of others who i'm too lazy to come up with middle names for.

so yeah - i'm looking for my new bumpersticker

OBAMA '12: Better than the alternative!

lol. it's funny cause it's true

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
BORKED

If it's really possible to win with 22% of the people's vote it really is indefensible

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
If it's really possible to win with 22% of the people's vote it really is indefensible

Only half the country votes anyway.

Last edited by pyramid; 12-12-2011 at 01:15 AM..

cc88

something is wrong with amekicacacrap when the joepitts and captainjerks votes count 1:1

should be 1:9 at least

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
le sigh
le what? What does it matter that someone is apathetic about voting in the US presidential elections? The system is broken and it's not going to be fixed in the foreseeable future.

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsalus View Post
le what? What does it matter that someone is apathetic about voting in the US presidential elections? The system is broken and it's not going to be fixed in the foreseeable future.

not voting in protest of how fucked the system is is just making the system go down the crapper at an even faster rate because it makes the system that much easier to rig.

BORKED

pyramid

Quote:
BORKED

the scenario they suggest is highly unlikely. they are suggesting that the entire voting population of the ten high population states are gonna vote against the guy who won at least 50%+1 of all 40 low population states.

that has zero probability of ever happening.

pyramid

Quote:
He promised a public option and we got the ACA looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

I don't believe obama ever did promise a public option. perhaps you are confusing that with the public exchange which we did get.

Creepster

The way you guys vote is retarded.

If 27% of the people vote for a guy, that guy should get 27% of the "power"

Colleges, primaries

Stop forcing *your* way of democracry onto smaller countries, it's way to complicated.

It's so bad, Putin is copying it. *cough.bush.diebold.fraud.cough**

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
not voting in protest of how fucked the system is is just making the system go down the crapper at an even faster rate because it makes the system that much easier to rig.
I don't see how my vote, being a resident of this Republican bunker as it has been for the past 60 years, makes one bit of difference with how the electoral college functions. Can you explain how my vote makes one, slight bit of difference?

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
I don't see how my vote, being a resident of this Republican bunker as it has been for the past 60 years, makes one bit of difference with how the electoral college functions. Can you explain how my vote makes one, slight bit of difference?

That's a very understandable view point, and electoral college is an outdated stick in the spokes of a real democracy; but it's no different than the reverse - why should I go vote if almost my whole state is going to vote the way I would anyway?

Another mental pitfall is the classic "I don't want to vote for the less stupid guy, I don't compromise" - why give up completely when you recognize a less than ideal situation? If humans never compromised we would never see a day of peace on earth, and forget marriage

pyramid

Quote:

if everyone there thinks like you there is no wonder why it is a republican bunker.

how do you ever expect to get anything done if your default position is that of apathy and forfeit?

half the people who are eligible to vote in your state probably don't even bother because of that same thinking. if they actually bothered to get off their asses and do something they might find they were actually in the majority all along.

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:

Perhaps you might motivate yourself and others to change how your state handles its electoral college votes?
Your option (and obligation) as a citizen is to work for change in your government.

Gibonius

Quote:

If we had proportional representation, there would be no problem with the Electoral College in that regard.

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
if everyone there thinks like you there is no wonder why it is a republican bunker.

how do you ever expect to get anything done if your default position is that of apathy and forfeit?

half the people who are eligible to vote in your state probably don't even bother because of that same thinking. if they actually bothered to get off their asses and do something they might find they were actually in the majority all along.
When every other person in my state gets your memo, I'll consider voting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
Perhaps you might motivate yourself and others to change how your state handles its electoral college votes?
Your option (and obligation) as a citizen is to work for change in your government.
I have zero interest in being in the public eye. Change is already in the works though. Supposedly my state wants to give its electoral votes to the popular vote in the next election. Kind of a step in the right direction.