General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Single payer sounds like a good plan on paper, but excuse me if I'm skeptical that the bureaucratic clusterfuck in Washington could run anything without burying it with red tape. My dad spent 25 years with the Treasury and retired early (and got a private sector job) simply because he could no longer take the mind numbingly illogical policies that kept coming from Washington.

Someone mentioned earlier the $250k debt that doctors have coming out of med school. How many would be willing to go to med school knowing it would take them an extra decade or so to pay off their student loans? Unless of course Obamacare also makes sweeping changes to the higher education system..
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 PM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#46  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Illegal immigrants (millions upon millions in EVERY city)? People without jobs? People who live in houses with 20 people?

Democrats lack logic. Always with the utopian idea's. Always out with the failure because they lack thinking outside the box of what they believe will happen

It's not like the rest of the civilized world does this, and has lower costs than we do or anything...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#47  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
The problem is for profit health care. That's why hospitals charge $10k a night for a bed and your ambulance ride costs $1000 before you ever make it to the hospital. Our whole system is fucked right from the beginning when doctors leave medical school with $250k in debt.

And really, we did regulate health care somewhat with the health care bill and all republicans are talking about is repealing it so they can make their health care lobbyists and election funders happy.

also, illegals are not the ones making our health care so expensive. they are just a scapegoat for our fucked up system. there are twice as many uninsured americans driving up the cost of health care as there are illegals.

c'mon man.
There was an article in the Washington Post recently noting how individual procedures and drugs are many, many times more expensive in the US than the rest of the world. An MRI costs $250 (not subsidized) in France, and $2000+ here. It's all profit and waste, we really don't get anything for it.

Make our costs the same as the rest of the world and most of the problems go away immediately. Getting rid of for-profit health care would be a good start, although I have a hard time imagining it happening.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#48  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Conservatives will argue that because we have so many more MRIs percapita than france, we are doing so much better. Just look, no waiting lines...

Overlooking the fact that we only build so many MRIs because they are profit centers and ignoring the fact that a large segment of the population cant even afford to get one.

but i guess that helps cut down on waiting lines and that's what really matters, right?
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 03-07-2012, 12:21 AM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#49  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Conservatives will argue that because we have so many more MRIs percapita than france, we are doing so much better. Just look, no waiting lines...

Overlooking the fact that we only build so many MRIs because they are profit centers and ignoring the fact that a large segment of the population cant even afford to get one.

but i guess that helps cut down on waiting lines and that's what really matters, right?

Making sure the rich can get through nice and quick is clearly what matters, not more people being able to get help.

A lot of conservatives are wanna-be ballers so they fight for someone else's causes
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 AM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#50  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colicious View Post
the thing with seatbelts though is that it can keep a body from flying around in a car further injuring other people in it

And an undiagnosed cough/sneeze could trigger a supervirus spread in an otherwise healthy environment.
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#51  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Driving is (and always will be) a privilege. Not a right. You're comparing Apples to Oranges

According to this thread, so is your health.
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#52  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
I like your optimism that single-payer is an inevitability. I'm not sure sure, though.

edit:

45,000 Americans die of preventable illness each year due to lack of health insurance. (Cite)

U.S. Health Care Spending: Comparison with Other OECD Countries

Cliffs: We spend more than anybody else for overall worse care, and we still have ~30 million uninsured/underinsured.

Medical bills are found linked to most bankruptcies

To be fair, we have more population than any country with universal health care
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#53  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colicious View Post
so instead of promoting and teaching people how important it is for them to obtain health insurance, you're just going to force everyone to buy it



ideas so good, lets make them mandatory

Which is why no one smokes anymore.


Oh....wait
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#54  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Oh lawdy, you claiming Gates is economically liberal??? Noice!!!

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2011/09...robinhood-tax/
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 03-07-2012, 02:50 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#55  

zumpiez5
Lasko
<3 yuor sekrat admirer
 
zumpiez5's Avatar
 
Healthcare cost is basically the same for every age group. It is only "unfair" to the people who make very little money, and it takes up a large portion of their income to have.

It is all about cost of living, and what that percentage is of annual income.

Making people pay for insurance, just so it is cheaper for those who can't afford it is a terrible idea. No matter what you think, healthcare is not a right, it is a privilege. All dems want to do it get a larger pool of money to draw from so they can pay for the poor to vote for them.

You want healthcare? get a better job, more education, stop smoking crack or stealing shit and finish highschool. People make choices, so they must live with them. If you REALLY wanted it badly enough, you would do it. No one has any discipline or will power anymore. It is easier to blame everyone and everything about why you can't do something.
__________________
How dare you rape me with your lunges.
It's like a koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!
You should have black colored band aids, those are racist band aids only for white people, do you only treat white people?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 AM zumpiez5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#56  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
To be fair, we have more population than any country with universal health care
you also have more doctors, more hospitals and more taxpayers and more tax money, what exactly are you after here?
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 03-07-2012, 09:02 AM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#57  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasko View Post
Healthcare cost is basically the same for every age group. It is only "unfair" to the people who make very little money, and it takes up a large portion of their income to have.

It is all about cost of living, and what that percentage is of annual income.

Making people pay for insurance, just so it is cheaper for those who can't afford it is a terrible idea. No matter what you think, healthcare is not a right, it is a privilege. All dems want to do it get a larger pool of money to draw from so they can pay for the poor to vote for them.

You want healthcare? get a better job, more education, stop smoking crack or stealing shit and finish highschool. People make choices, so they must live with them. If you REALLY wanted it badly enough, you would do it. No one has any discipline or will power anymore. It is easier to blame everyone and everything about why you can't do something.

yeah, the rest of the world that already has universal health care finds this attitude abhorrent. Go to a country where they have universal single payer and maybe, maybe you could find 1% of the population who is in favor of doing away with their system. The other 99% would string up any politician who even suggested taking universal health care away from them.

also your premise is stupid. young healthy people are far less expensive than old people in health care costs. that is another problem with our system. the costs of the old people are dumped on the public medicare system while the cost savings of insuring younger people end up getting soaked up by private insurers in profits. This is another reason we pay so much for health care. If everyone one were in the same pool, the ~30% that goes to private insurers for profit could be cut right off the top and having young and old in the same pool would further reduce costs.

But I guess reducing costs for everyone and ensuring that everyone has access to care is just a big old scam the democrats are trying to pull on everyone.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 PM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#58  

zumpiez5
Lasko
<3 yuor sekrat admirer
 
zumpiez5's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
yeah, the rest of the world that already has universal health care finds this attitude abhorrent. Go to a country where they have universal single payer and maybe, maybe you could find 1% of the population who is in favor of doing away with their system. The other 99% would string up any politician who even suggested taking universal health care away from them.

also your premise is stupid. young healthy people are far less expensive than old people in health care costs. that is another problem with our system. the costs of the old people are dumped on the public medicare system while the cost savings of insuring younger people end up getting soaked up by private insurers in profits. This is another reason we pay so much for health care. If everyone one were in the same pool, the ~30% that goes to private insurers for profit could be cut right off the top and having young and old in the same pool would further reduce costs.

But I guess reducing costs for everyone and ensuring that everyone has access to care is just a big old scam the democrats are trying to pull on everyone.

You misunderstood what I said. The same for every age group means that a billionaire 25 year old pays the same as a 10k a year 25 year old. Not meaning that every age pays the same.

Read in the context of what I said, maybe you would actually learn something.

edit: also, "reducing the cost for everyone" just means more people are paying for something. It is not a real cost reduction.

If I had a business that had 5 employees and pay them a total of 100k a year in payroll, getting a big deal and bringing in 5million revenue does not reduce that cost. If you are in any kind of business related field, please go back and study your books, because you should be audited and put in jail if you believe it is a cost reduction.
__________________
How dare you rape me with your lunges.
It's like a koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!
You should have black colored band aids, those are racist band aids only for white people, do you only treat white people?

Last edited by Lasko; 03-07-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Old 03-07-2012, 12:33 PM zumpiez5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#59  

5ive
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasko View Post

No matter what you think, healthcare is not a right, it is a privilege.

This is where I stopped reading.

Seriously. Just listen to what the fuck you said.

You value your dollar over another person's life. A green piece of paper with no intrinsic value over a human being's livelihood.

What the fuck, man
__________________
Chicho is full of win.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective
Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 PM 5ive is offline  
Reply With Quote
#60  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.