General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
So... theyre catching a full third of drug users for the entire state, both not on welfare and on welfare? that sounds pretty good to me

They are catching 2.6% of the population which is on welfare.

According to this there were 87,632 people on welfare in FL in 2008.

According to the US Census there are 19,057,542 people in Florida.

2.6% of 87,632 people is 2279 people.

2279 people is 0.01196% of Florida's population.

If 8.1% of the population is drug using, that means 1,543,660 floridians are drug users.

2279 people is only 0.1476% of the total florida drug using population.

Last edited by pyramid; 04-18-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

pyramid

The costs of the tests were nearly double what the state saved on the welfare they didn't pay out so basically the state spent ~$50k more than they had to just to say they denied welfare to 2300 people.

Any way you slice it, it's not very impressive. Especially when you realize those denied funds were most likely going to pay for some innocent child's food, not some druggies fix.

Last edited by pyramid; 04-18-2012 at 05:02 PM..

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

yay math!

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
what? if im understanding you correctly....no. the rate might be 1/3 of the all-florida rate but the actual counts are not. 2.6% of 4086 people on assistance is 108. compared to 8.3 percent of all Floridians aged 12 and older, well...
i misread the study. Thank you

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
yay math!

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Where exactly are you getting this idea that there are unlimited federal payments with increasing numbers of kids? There are some short-term benefit programs that scale to an unlimited number of children, but I can't find any perpetual welfare programs at the federal level that would financially reward you for having kids beyond a certain point.

Also a tax credit is a straight up check.

benefits cut off when kids hit 18(or whatever the age is now)

keep having kids == benefits never run out.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post

A) What program is this?
B) Do the benefits scale per child?

the only programs I could find that scaled per child with no cap were both temporary and state based.

ytzombe
No place better than the Lone Star State!

At the doctor's office today there was this really big woman, I mean barely fitting in a chair and her muffin top spitting out over the arms of the chair. Anywho, she commented that her 17 year old should get pregnant so she could have someone to play with and for her daughter to stop asking her for money as the state would pay for her and the baby. This made me mad, I pay a crap load in taxes and that to me it is going to waste. I mean the fact that a teenager needs to get pregnant so the state can pay for her and the baby is just wrong.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
A) What program is this?

the only programs I could find that scaled per child with no cap were both temporary and state based.

actually I am not sure if it still works that way. so it's speculation. was going to put a ? mark but was too lazy

Just was the way it used to work.

and have no clue about benefit increase per child.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytzombe View Post
At the doctor's office today there was this really big woman, I mean barely fitting in a chair and her muffin top spitting out over the arms of the chair. Anywho, she commented that her 17 year old should get pregnant so she could have someone to play with and for her daughter to stop asking her for money as the state would pay for her and the baby. This made me mad, I pay a crap load in taxes and that to me it is going to waste. I mean the fact that a teenager needs to get pregnant so the state can pay for her and the baby is just wrong.

You have to have pretty low standards to want to live like that (and fairly few people do, fortunately). It sucks to watch when it happens but I'm not sure what we could really do about it. I'd rather see a few rare cases of abuse than mothers who never intended to game the system living in the street sucking dicks for quarters.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
So... theyre catching a full third of drug users for the entire state, both not on welfare and on welfare? that sounds pretty good to me

They denied wellfare to 108 people, out of which %80 probably smoked some weed.

EARTH IS SAVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post

Or longer if you have some beer when you're pregnant.

It goes to 21 or lifetime if they are special needs children

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
A) What program is this?

It's not temporary, it's often state based yes. Like I said here in CA they get ~$450/mo/kid and I've never heard of a ceiling.

If you want to slug through this shit go for it I do know people get cash aid for children they can't afford to have though.

www.childcarelaw.org/CCLCSubsidyManual.pdf

ytzombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
It's not temporary, it's often state based yes. Like I said here in CA they get ~$450/mo/kid and I've never heard of a ceiling.

If you want to slug through this shit go for it I do know people get cash aid for children they can't afford to have though.

The octomom is like getting 2k per month in CA.

ytzombe

Quote:
You have to have pretty low standards to want to live like that (and fairly few people do, fortunately). It sucks to watch when it happens but I'm not sure what we could really do about it. I'd rather see a few rare cases of abuse than mothers who never intended to game the system living in the street sucking dicks for quarters.

See the thing is that once you are on welfare, it's hard to get off. My wife was a pre-school teacher, and really it was hard to see some people struggle because they would try to work, but it would set them back if they did. This one woman had three kids, one 2 the others 4 and 7. The 2 year old needed day-care and the state would pay a portion of it. The woman made like $12 an hour and would pay like $400 a month in child care. She got a raise to $15 an hour, so her responsible portion rose to like $750. So by making a little bit more, she got hit with an almost double co-pay. So really she is making less by making a little bit more. It is almost an incentive not to work.

But on the other hand of the spectrum, you have lottery winners still on welfare.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post

That appears to all be California shit. Wouldn't surprise me if California is stupid enough to give out benefits that scale to an unlimited number of children that don't expire.

I've (sadly) been around a number of welfare moms in the DC area, and they all appear quite up on the law. Their cap was three, and magically they all stopped having kids after that.