General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Studies have shown there's no reduction in obesity rates from removing vending machines. Obesity happens at home and lots of kids still get really poor examples from their parents.

It is not always about reducing the prevalence so much as reducing the incidence rates. Obesity can happen at home, but it is confounded by multiple other environments. Focusing on one sole contributor may not be the total solution, hence the more "multi-vector" approach.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Since healthier foods cost more than processed foods

It really doesn't have to. A big mac, fries and a cherry pie is what? $8 or so...

You can have a turkey sandwich from subway, or make something yourself. I cook at least three or four times a week. Steaks, corn, asparagus, chicken, potatoes, salads, pasta - all with olive oil and light on the salt. Tastes great, doesn't cost all that much and doesn't take very long now that I've gotten used to it.

I think more peole need to cook. It's not hard, and it's not scary. Too many people simply had no role models because their moms would nuke up something called a "toaster pastry" and call it breakfast when they were younger. My mom isn't a great cook but she tries. Most of my inspiration came from my grandma. I can cook better than pretty much any girl I've ever dated, which is kinda lame. At least some of them fuck like a champ so that counts for something right

Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
It really doesn't have to. A big mac, fries and a cherry pie is what? $8 or so...

You can have a turkey sandwich from subway, or make something yourself. I cook at least three or four times a week. Steaks, corn, asparagus, chicken, potatoes, salads, pasta - all with olive oil and light on the salt. Tastes great, doesn't cost all that much and doesn't take very long now that I've gotten used to it.

I think more peole need to cook. It's not hard, and it's not scary. Too many people simply had no role models because their moms would nuke up something called a "toaster pastry" and call it breakfast when they were younger. My mom isn't a great cook but she tries. Most of my inspiration came from my grandma I can cook better than pretty much any girl I've ever dated, which is kinda lame. At least most girls ive been with fuck like a champ so that counts for something.

It's not just about price (although you chose a pricier item like a big mac. You can get a double quarter pounder for $1, as well as two apple pies for $1, stuff like that). It's also about convenience, it's about promotional overload--unhealthy foods are promoted exponentially more than healthy alternatives. It's a huge problem with no "one answer". If you can feed your entire family of 4 for < 10$ by spending 5 minutes at McDonald's, there is little incentive to buy more expensive groceries and cook, aside from "health benefits" that many folks are either unaware of or think it's less of a concern.

5ive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
Since when does it cost money to go outside and go for a walk / jog and make healthy eating decisions? X eleventy = 5ive

From the Seattle Times:

Quote:
For years, doctors have known that the people most likely to be overweight have the lowest incomes. Fresh produce and other healthful fare can be expensive as well as less accessible in low-income neighborhoods than fast food and other high-fat options. Just last week, a report criticized the government nutrition program that helps feed millions of low-income women and children for, among other things, providing hardly any fresh produce and favoring high-calorie juice over whole fruit... It can be hard to exercise in inner cities, where the streets may be too dangerous after working hours. Many groceries in low-income neighborhoods don't stock expensive fresh produce. And people who work two or three jobs have little time to make home-cooked meals.
Plus, if you tax them you take away money that they can spend on exercise equipment, doctor's visits, healthier food, etc etc.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
It's not just about price (although you chose a pricier item like a big mac. You can get a double quarter pounder for $1, as well as two apple pies for $1, stuff like that). It's also about convenience, it's about promotional overload--unhealthy foods are promoted exponentially more than healthy alternatives. It's a huge problem with no "one answer". If you can feed your entire family of 4 for < 10$ by spending 5 minutes at McDonald's, there is little incentive to buy more expensive groceries and cook, aside from "health benefits" that many folks are either unaware of or think it's less of a concern.

Well there is no answer but there is one on a personal level where you learn and make good choices and get better at it as you do it. There ARE quick and easy meals that don't cost a lot that also won't cause hypertension and cellulite by the time you're 35.

Having said that i made the most delicious bacon sandwich this morning with egg and cheese, mayo and toasted sourdough Not super healthy but god damn it was so much better than anything Jack or McDs can do.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colicious View Post
doesnt mean you have to buy the super large bigmac with an extra side of chicken nuggets. grilled chicken sandwiches from fast food joints are just as cheap and way healthier than the burgers

Look at you thinking I meant eating out. No I meant in the supermarket.

Ramen noodles are as cheap as you can get. 1 serving is loaded with sodium (bloating) and they will be digested quickly (making one hungry again) thus people eat more.

Gearhead
god of welders and keeper of the magical torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
He's referring to a regressive impact of an unhealthy food/drink tax, and he is right.

So if people really wanted to start eating healthy and can't afford to shop at inflated super markets, they would stop buying shit food and possibly start growing their own veggies if able, go to a butcher for meat and shopping at farmers markets when available.

An excuse of "I am fat because I can't afford to buy anything but this shopping cart full of prepared dinners and chips and pop. Healthy food is too expensive" is . A bag of chips costs more than a bunch of celery or a bag of carrots. 3.00 for a bag of apples compared to 4.50 for a bag of chips. Sounds like a pretty simple decision to me.

Maybe the tax would be good for your country. Make people pay more for junk food so they are forced to eat healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
From the Seattle Times:

Plus, if you tax them you take away money that they can spend on exercise equipment, doctor's visits, healthier food, etc etc.

You seriously think inner city people are going to spend money on exercise equipment????

Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division

Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
So if people really wanted to start eating healthy and can't afford to shop at inflated super markets, they would stop buying shit food and possibly start growing their own veggies if able, go to a butcher for meat and shopping at farmers markets when available.

An excuse of "I am fat because I can't afford to buy anything but this shopping cart full of prepared dinners and chips and pop. Healthy food is too expensive" is . A bag of chips costs more than a bunch of celery or a bag of carrots. 3.00 for a bag of apples compared to 4.50 for a bag of chips. Sounds like a pretty simple decision to me.

Maybe the tax would be good for your country. Make people pay more for junk food so they are forced to eat healthy.

Well, you are cherry picking your comparisons here. Particularly in low income urban neighborhoods, fruit/vegetables are hard to come by. When they are found, they are not as cheap as you assume. Furthermore, while some brands of chips cost 4.50, most do not. You would expect to find a bag of baby carrots to be about 3.50, while a no-name chip bag will cost $1. Or, as mentioned, you could buy ramen noodles for 20 cents.

It's funny you mention farmers markets--you think those things are everywhere? In high needs areas? They arent. In fact, one of the big outreach initiatives going on in NYC is to expand healthy farmers markets into high need areas and provide additional benefits for those that shop there. Where do you think people will grow their own food, in their living rooms?

While the regressive tax might have a positive impact on the health disparities between socioeconomic groups, it's not the only answer (in my opinion). There are plenty of overweight/obese people who do not live in poverty. They won't be affected by a tax.

Double l

Nope,

Let people be fat if they want to.

isugoat

I don't know about tax, but at the very least it'd be nice if food stamps programs didn't allow people to purchase junk food. Governments paying to get people fat so they have more health problems for which we'll also pay.

Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoat View Post
I don't know about tax, but at the very least it'd be nice if food stamps programs didn't allow people to purchase junk food. Governments paying to get people fat so they have more health problems for which we'll also pay.

Funny you mention this--the USDA is piloting one such study in Massachusetts, and a few other big cities are trying to experiment with the same type of program.

Ruffy
Keeper of The Toes

I'm overweight, I've tried eating 1000 calories a day, I've tried low fat high protein no junk food diets, I'm still overweight.

Even exercising I only lose on average 15lbs. Which is my normal range of fluctuation.

Junk food isn't always the reason.

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
I'm overweight, I've tried eating 1000 calories a day, I've tried low fat high protein no junk food diets, I'm still overweight.

Even exercising I only lose on average 15lbs. Which is my normal range of fluctuation.

and how long did you try any of those things for?

dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post

Can an obese person starve to death and die fat? Or will their body consume all their fat and will they become skinny before they die?

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Can an obese person starve to death and die fat? Or will their body consume all their fat and will they become skinny before they die?

they can die fat. theres quite a few notable cases of it out there. your body trying to break down itself isn't enough to sustain it.