General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Can an obese person starve to death and die fat? Or will their body consume all their fat and will they become skinny before they die?

After a little while (and it doesn't take long) your body stops burning fat and goes after muscle/organs, etc.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

plenty of ways to combat obesity even if you have a fucked up thyroid problem

i don't really give a shit what shape one is and all that, but enough with the fucking excuses

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
After a little while (and it doesn't take long) your body stops burning fat and goes after muscle/organs, etc.

this, for the most part, is exaggerated bro science. no fat jews in concentration camps, why is that

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
plenty of ways to combat obesity even if you have a fucked up thyroid problem

i don't really give a shit what shape one is and all that, but enough with the fucking excuses

Should the same go for the guys that complain they can't gain weight no matter what?

Coqui

Quote:
this, for the most part, is exaggerated bro science. no fat jews in concentration camps, why is that

Because they were fed enough to survive (until they could be killed in a less humane way)

Straw Man
RuHo

Quote:
Should the same go for the guys that complain they can't gain weight no matter what?

If you have some fucked up self image problem where you need to look like a GI Joe character, who cares? Seriously, how often to do you actually find people having problems putting on weight for HEALTH reasons?

Straw Man
RuHo

Quote:
Because they were fed enough to survive (until they could be killed in a less humane way)

Well, then it seems really odd that they didn't die because their muscles and organs deteriorated. Perhaps they had optimal PWO shakes taken in the correct anabolic window or whatever the fuck powder salesmen want people to talk about

Coqui

Quote:
If you have some fucked up self image problem where you need to look like a GI Joe character, who cares? Seriously, how often to do you actually find people having problems putting on weight for HEALTH reasons?

I've heard it from numerous guys I know. They're around 6'1" 140 pounds. I'm pretty sure they're not trying to look muscle bound

Coqui

Quote:
Well, then it seems really odd that they didn't die because their muscles and organs deteriorated. Perhaps they had optimal PWO shakes taken in the correct anabolic window or whatever the fuck powder salesmen want people to talk about

The fuck are you talking about?

Straw Man
RuHo

Quote:
I've heard it from numerous guys I know. They're around 6'1" 140 pounds. I'm pretty sure they're not trying to look muscle bound
Yes, I am sure someone is 6'1 and 140 pounds simply through some medical anomaly. It's not because they're lazy, dumb, or a delicate combination of both

Quote:
The fuck are you talking about?
it's absolutely motherfucking ridiculous to talk about some fucking gay muscle magazine wisdom when it comes to obese people not being obese

muscle and organ eating calorie defecits = 100% bull shit

edit/ if you're peeved about that tasteless holocaust comparison, it was mostly for shits and giggles and in all honesty, it was just said because it's simply just as an absurd of a statement than saying if a grown fucking man actually eats 1000 calories a day and actually lives an even moderately active life, that he either doesn't lose weight or suffers some weird fucking catabolic anomaly in the process

Last edited by RuHo; 04-29-2012 at 05:40 AM..

Coqui

Quote:
Yes, I am sure someone is 6'1 and 140 pounds simply through some medical anomaly. It's not because they're lazy, dumb, or a delicate combination of both

Funny because I was able to get them to gain weight by having them go into the weight room and eat properly like a hoss. So...yeah it was because they were lazy, dumb, or a delicate combination of both.

Quote:
it's absolutely motherfucking ridiculous to talk about some fucking gay muscle magazine wisdom when it comes to obese people not being obese

Are you kidding me, this is basic biology. Has nothing to do with muscle magazines. And my comment was about actually having fat people starve to death and still look fat.

Quote:
edit/ if you're peeved about that tasteless holocaust comparison, it was mostly for shits and giggles and in all honesty, it was just said because it's simply just as an absurd of a statement than saying if a grown fucking man actually eats 1000 calories a day and actually lives an even moderately active life, that he either doesn't lose weight or suffers some weird fucking catabolic anomaly in the process
I don't think you figured out I was joking with my response about the holocaust. However, a grown man should never just consume 1000 calories a day.

Gibonius

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui
Are you kidding me, this is basic biology. Has nothing to do with muscle magazines. And my comment was about actually having fat people starve to death and still look fat.

Your body will never stop burning fat for energy entirely (it can't, your brain would stop functioning), but under starvation conditions your body will significantly catabolize muscle and organ issue. Nobody would starve to death while still having a significant amount of body fat reserves, at least through any mechanism I know about.

Might still look fat though, but that would just be because the majority of their muscle would be gone + stomach bloating.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Your body will never stop burning fat for energy entirely (it can't, your brain would stop functioning), but under starvation conditions your body will significantly catabolize muscle and organ issue. Nobody would starve to death while still having a significant amount of body fat reserves, at least through any mechanism I know about.

Might still look fat though, but that would just be because the majority of their muscle would be gone + stomach bloating.

You body can sustain on fat only so long. After a while, if you're not consuming enough protein, etc. your body will shut down. Regardless of how much fat stores you have.

Gibonius

Quote:
You body can sustain on fat only so long. After a while, if you're not consuming enough protein, etc. your body will shut down. Regardless of how much fat stores you have.

Right, that's where the muscle catabolism comes in. Your body will take protein from your muscles to fuel the breakdown of fat. But you're still primarily burning fat, you just use muscle along with it. Your energy balance during starvation is something like 80% fat, 20% other.

I suppose theoretically some obese land whale could have high enough stores of fat to totally deplete their muscle mass before running out of fat if they were eating absolutely nothing, but I doubt it's a realistic concern.

Straw Man
RuHo

Quote:
Funny because I was able to get them to gain weight by having them go into the weight room and eat properly like a hoss. So...yeah it was because they were lazy, dumb, or a delicate combination of both.
Well that's kind of what I mean, only I have to be an asshole somehow to suggest it

Quote:

I don't think you figured out I was joking with my response about the holocaust. However, a grown man should never just consume 1000 calories a day.
Well yeah, I was mostly doing that because someone said he's been eating 1k calories a day and not losing any. That's just ...yeah. Let's not get into that