General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Your body will never stop burning fat for energy entirely (it can't, your brain would stop functioning), but under starvation conditions your body will significantly catabolize muscle and organ issue. Nobody would starve to death while still having a significant amount of body fat reserves, at least through any mechanism I know about.

Might still look fat though, but that would just be because the majority of their muscle would be gone + stomach bloating.

Sure.

I just think it's kind of ....well, counteractive to start talking about catabolism in general, when most people talking about such things need really not even think about it. Not that I'm majoring in human experiments, but that word gets thrown around pretty often when it comes to anything relating to someone losing weight or hitting the gym.

It's like some people think eating is really fucking difficult, or gaining weight or muscle. It isn't. Perhaps it's hard in the sense that you actually have to do shit, but it's not rocket science. Unless you're trying to be Vendetta, then I guess it would matter.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 04-29-2012, 02:28 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#106  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Sabbster]#
I have a huge penis.
 
Sabbster]#'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Well, you are cherry picking your comparisons here. Particularly in low income urban neighborhoods, fruit/vegetables are hard to come by. When they are found, they are not as cheap as you assume. Furthermore, while some brands of chips cost 4.50, most do not. You would expect to find a bag of baby carrots to be about 3.50, while a no-name chip bag will cost $1. Or, as mentioned, you could buy ramen noodles for 20 cents.

It's funny you mention farmers markets--you think those things are everywhere? In high needs areas? They arent. In fact, one of the big outreach initiatives going on in NYC is to expand healthy farmers markets into high need areas and provide additional benefits for those that shop there. Where do you think people will grow their own food, in their living rooms?

While the regressive tax might have a positive impact on the health disparities between socioeconomic groups, it's not the only answer (in my opinion). There are plenty of overweight/obese people who do not live in poverty. They won't be affected by a tax.

There are plenty of fat, broke, worthless natives in my hometown running around with EBT cards buying from convenience stores and Costco such as Doritos, slim jims, twinkies, and a shit load of candy.

The irony is that people like me who would qualify for it instead work our butts off and pay for our own meals. I have yet to apply for EBT benefits even though I know I could. 8.25 an hour at 30 hours a week isn't exactly plush living, especially when you factor in rent and utilities (which I split with a roommate).
__________________
~ I long for the day when Mr. Cool Ice settles down and finds his Mrs. Cool Ice (with tattoos) and has little Ice Cubes running around the house ~
Old 04-29-2012, 02:46 PM Sabbster]# is offline  
Reply With Quote
#107  

5ive
 
5ive's Avatar
 
The biggest lie ever told is that poor people are lazy

Oh, and that Santa is real
__________________
Chicho is full of win.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective
Old 04-29-2012, 02:48 PM 5ive is offline  
Reply With Quote
#108  

Sabbster]#
I have a huge penis.
 
Sabbster]#'s Avatar
 
Who said all poor people are lazy?
__________________
~ I long for the day when Mr. Cool Ice settles down and finds his Mrs. Cool Ice (with tattoos) and has little Ice Cubes running around the house ~
Old 04-29-2012, 02:57 PM Sabbster]# is offline  
Reply With Quote
#109  

Sabbster]#
I have a huge penis.
 
Sabbster]#'s Avatar
 
I mean, technically i'm poor since I make less than 13,000 a year, but i'm a full time student who also works 30 hours a week (or more).
__________________
~ I long for the day when Mr. Cool Ice settles down and finds his Mrs. Cool Ice (with tattoos) and has little Ice Cubes running around the house ~
Old 04-29-2012, 02:59 PM Sabbster]# is offline  
Reply With Quote
#110  

5ive
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Nevermind it was a dumb thing to say
__________________
Chicho is full of win.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective
Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM 5ive is offline  
Reply With Quote
#111  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
The biggest lie ever told is that poor people are lazy

Oh, and that Santa is real

Santa is real. It's just the myth around him is false. And the fact that he's still alive.
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 04-29-2012, 03:45 PM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#112  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
Sure.

I just think it's kind of ....well, counteractive to start talking about catabolism in general, when most people talking about such things need really not even think about it. Not that I'm majoring in human experiments, but that word gets thrown around pretty often when it comes to anything relating to someone losing weight or hitting the gym.

It's like some people think eating is really fucking difficult, or gaining weight or muscle. It isn't. Perhaps it's hard in the sense that you actually have to do shit, but it's not rocket science. Unless you're trying to be Vendetta, then I guess it would matter.

Well that whole "I ate 1k calories and didn't lose weight" thing presents a deeply flawed idea of effective weight loss on many levels. You will lose weight if you actually stick with it, but it's just a wrong-minded approach to the whole thing. People need to change their approach to eating and food, not rigidly calorie count. "Put down the fork, fatty" is never going to be effective long-term.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#113  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
I've heard it from numerous guys I know. They're around 6'1" 140 pounds. I'm pretty sure they're not trying to look muscle bound

at 20 years old I was 6'2" and weighed 155 lbs. From early childhood attempts were made to allow me to gain weight. I ate at least twice what anyone in my family besides my 300 lb step father ate. Using various weight gain products. I was more active than most of my peers besides jocks.

It took being in the military and doing ridiculous amounts of exerciser each day and unlimited amounts of food and I went up to 170 with fat and some muscle gain in my legs after 4 years in the military.

At 30 I spent four years eating about 50k a week or more and gained about 4 pounds a year.
Did not gain any real weight till I hit 40 and hurt my back. Then sitting in front of a computer playing games and sitting down all day at work and not reducing my caloric intake to reasonable levels I started putting on large amounts of fat and by 50 had gone up to 245 which I have now reduced to 226 in the last few months. and I still eat several thousand cals a day.

So a combination of injury and metabolism change after age 35 allowed weight gain.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#114  

Colicious
I'm 18 and my mom grounded me for going 10 over the speed limit!! <3 siriusnova
 
Colicious's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
at 20 years old I was 6'2" and weighed 155 lbs. From early childhood attempts were made to allow me to gain weight. I ate at least twice what anyone in my family besides my 300 lb step father ate. Using various weight gain products. I was more active than most of my peers besides jocks.

It took being in the military and doing ridiculous amounts of exerciser each day and unlimited amounts of food and I went up to 170 with fat and some muscle gain in my legs after 4 years in the military.

At 30 I spent four years eating about 50k a week or more and gained about 4 pounds a year.
Did not gain any real weight till I hit 40 and hurt my back. Then sitting in front of a computer playing games and sitting down all day at work and not reducing my caloric intake to reasonable levels I started putting on large amounts of fat and by 50 had gone up to 245 which I have now reduced to 226 in the last few months. and I still eat several thousand cals a day.

So a combination of injury and metabolism change after age 35 allowed weight gain.

you'r eolder than 50
__________________
3e8e19ca5f2e1c52bbc2223c33a41dda [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 PM Colicious is offline  
Reply With Quote
#115  

Patriotic Eagle
 
Patriotic Eagle's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
at 20 years old I was 6'2" and weighed 155 lbs. From early childhood attempts were made to allow me to gain weight. I ate at least twice what anyone in my family besides my 300 lb step father ate. Using various weight gain products. I was more active than most of my peers besides jocks.

It took being in the military and doing ridiculous amounts of exerciser each day and unlimited amounts of food and I went up to 170 with fat and some muscle gain in my legs after 4 years in the military.

At 30 I spent four years eating about 50k a week or more and gained about 4 pounds a year.
Did not gain any real weight till I hit 40 and hurt my back. Then sitting in front of a computer playing games and sitting down all day at work and not reducing my caloric intake to reasonable levels I started putting on large amounts of fat and by 50 had gone up to 245 which I have now reduced to 226 in the last few months. and I still eat several thousand cals a day.

So a combination of injury and metabolism change after age 35 allowed weight gain.
How the fuck do you eat nearly 7k calories a day, for years.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 PM Patriotic Eagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
#116  

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Eagle View Post
How the fuck do you eat nearly 7k calories a day, for years.

10 k three days a week and less on the other days

some cereal when I got up and then at work a third of a pound of bacon half a dozen eggs 8 or nine link sausages several danish hash browns etc for one meal and then about half a pound of italian sausage and pasta and various sides for a second meal snacking on mushrooms topped with sausage or bacon wrapped scallops when the upper lounge closed. and then later on a full diner at home. and half a dozen cans of soda and about the same amount of coffee with cream and sugar spread out during the day.
Worked at a hotel and when they broke down the breakfast and lunch buffets they set the letovers down in the basement for staff to chow down on.

It got to the point that I could feel my heart protest and slow down after about the sixth breakfast sausage. Like it was trying to pump congealed fat.
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 04-29-2012, 07:00 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#117  

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbster]# View Post
There are plenty of fat, broke, worthless natives in my hometown running around with EBT cards buying from convenience stores and Costco such as Doritos, slim jims, twinkies, and a shit load of candy.

The irony is that people like me who would qualify for it instead work our butts off and pay for our own meals. I have yet to apply for EBT benefits even though I know I could. 8.25 an hour at 30 hours a week isn't exactly plush living, especially when you factor in rent and utilities (which I split with a roommate).

What do you want me to say? Life isn't fair. However, people you see are not necessarily representative of the entire population of those on supplemental assistance. Further still, I've already said a number of localities are experimenting with new assistance restriction programs--testing impacts on consumption, specific biomarkers, etc.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#118  

cokezeroholic
 
cokezeroholic's Avatar
 
They've been talking about doing drug testing and whatnot for unemployment in my area. I would certainly hope so *crosses fingers*
__________________
There are doorways I haven't opened, and windows I've yet to look through. Going forward may not be the answer ... maybe I should go back.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:09 PM cokezeroholic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#119  

Sabbster]#
I have a huge penis.
 
Sabbster]#'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
What do you want me to say? Life isn't fair. However, people you see are not necessarily representative of the entire population of those on supplemental assistance. Further still, I've already said a number of localities are experimenting with new assistance restriction programs--testing impacts on consumption, specific biomarkers, etc.

Of course i'm not saying that. I'm saying that restrictions aren't heavy enough for people who use those programs, and even if there were better alternatives available to those using EBT or other similar programs, a shit ton of people would still abuse the system and buy that isn't good for them. So yes, it's good that other areas are experimenting with new ways to handle these benefits. I'd still like to see a large scale reform on eligibility to weed out the freeloaders and those who would simply abuse the whole deal.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've let someone make a transaction for junk food using EBT, and then the person pulls out a wad of cash and buys a pack of smokes and a six pack. It's digusting.
__________________
~ I long for the day when Mr. Cool Ice settles down and finds his Mrs. Cool Ice (with tattoos) and has little Ice Cubes running around the house ~
Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 PM Sabbster]# is offline  
Reply With Quote
#120  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:12 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.