General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbster]# View Post

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've let someone make a transaction for junk food using EBT, and then the person pulls out a wad of cash and buys a pack of smokes and a six pack. It's digusting.

this here. a friend of mine works at a convenience store and he's constantly bitching about the people that come in use food stamps and shit to buy all sorts of garbage food, then pull a wad of cash and blow 200 dollars on lotto tickets, smokes, and beer.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

So remove the ability to use EBT from 7-11 type places?

If I was the government i'd only allow EBT at real grocery stores.

gwiber

Rule of three's

3 minutes
3 days
3 weeks

Those are the averages. 3 minutes air, 3 days water, 3 weeks food. It can vary obviously (sometimes rarely, greatly0. But anything more than those averages, and you are dead, without medical intervention of some sort.

Your weight; is immaterial as fuck to those averages. sometime between 2 weeks and 4, without food, you are dead. If you are 7ft and 125, or 4' 2" and 600. You will, DIE, without food in that time period. (Again; SOME variation, but we are talking the law of averages here.)

teh_rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbster]# View Post
I'd still like to see a large scale reform on eligibility to weed out the freeloaders and those who would simply abuse the whole deal.

large scale reforms are not possible in this country.

5ive

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
So remove the ability to use EBT from 7-11 type places?

If I was the government i'd only allow EBT at real grocery stores.

what do you do about food deserts?
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_rapist View Post
large scale reforms are not possible in this country.

I hate it when people say shit like how something works well in a country the size of New Hampshire.
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

teh_rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows View Post
I hate it when people say shit like how something works well in a country the size of New Hampshire.

well, size is a factor, of course. but the dominant reason large scale reforms are impossible in this country has less to do with the country's size, and more to do with the reactive, impotent and decentralized nature of the country's government. which, unlike, say, china's highly centralized government which allows it to be proactive, simply cannot initiate sweeping reforms, even if those would actually be fantastic for the country's citizens, economy and quality of life.

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_rapist View Post
well, size is a factor, of course. but the dominant reason large scale reforms are impossible in this country has less to do with the country's size, and more to do with the reactive, impotent and decentralized nature of the country's government. which, unlike, say, china's highly centralized government which allows it to be proactive, simply cannot initiate sweeping reforms, even if those would actually be fantastic for the country's citizens, economy and quality of life.

Thats just an excuse to not even bother trying

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
They've been talking about doing drug testing and whatnot for unemployment in my area. I would certainly hope so *crosses fingers*

They instituted a drug testing pilot program for supplemental assistance in Florida. The result? The percentage of people caught on drugs was damn near miniscule. In fact, it cost nearly 3x as much to do the testing as it did "saved" for removing those people from the benefit list.

teh_rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcric View Post
Thats just an excuse to not even bother trying

i'd love it if someone with any power did try. i mean, there certainly are tons of large reforms that would clearly help the nation. but the impotence of the country's political system all but prevents attempts at big non-defense/national security legislation from being successful.

cokezeroholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
They instituted a drug testing pilot program for supplemental assistance in Florida. The result? The percentage of people caught on drugs was damn near miniscule. In fact, it cost nearly 3x as much to do the testing as it did "saved" for removing those people from the benefit list.
Ah yes, that's right! I remember a mention of those results. You just cant count on people's good nature to do the "right" things with their benefits.

competizione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcric View Post
this here. a friend of mine works at a convenience store and he's constantly bitching about the people that come in use food stamps and shit to buy all sorts of garbage food, then pull a wad of cash and blow 200 dollars on lotto tickets, smokes, and beer.
i'm all for people getting help if they need it but some just don't deserve it.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
Ah yes, that's right! I remember a mention of those results. You just cant count on people's good nature to do the "right" things with their benefits.

Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

AbortTheFetus

Shocking but people who need money from others often have bad money management skills. If these folks aren't going to spend money properly, it doesn't matter how much money we throw at the issue, the issue remains. I'd rather see people given an initial months supply of money, if they want money for next month, they should submit receipts. By making people keep receipts, their spending can be better tracked both by the person as well as the organization.

cokezeroholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows View Post
The last half of my post was unrelated to the situation in Florida and the misuse of government funds as a whole.