General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Just the Dept of "Homeland Security" has over 200,000 new employees since it's creation.

They spent $66,700,000,000 out of their allocated $98,800,000,000 in 2011.

Of course we need to cancel planned parenthood and public education before we touch that agency, I mean, how did we ever live without it with only the US Army, the US marines, the navy, the FBI, the CIA, ATF, Secret Service, US Marshals, US Airforce, Seals, rangers, etc.

I don't know how we did it. Must have been VERY dangerous that whole time we just didn't know it..............

ps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...eland_Security

we didint live without the navy and army and marines. You know that whole revolution thing. And then that whole civil war thing.

But thats beside the point. Point is there is no reason to let one source of waste continue just because there are others.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
I think it's healthy for a society to get upset when people, rich or poor, are cheating the government out of money. Collective disregard for the rules is poisonous, and social scorn is a more powerful tool than relying on the government to catch and punish miscreants.

Perhaps.

People get entitled to many things, with the difference occasionally being a simple feeling that one feels the other guy isn't entitled to something. Certainly, getting disability benefits when one isn't disabled is one (though it should be again said there are many kinds of disabilities and not everyone of them has to be physical or debilitating to the point where you can't do simple housework).

I don't own a car and don't want one either, but you're entitled to your road where you can drive the fucking thing, if that is your wish. If I were to tell you that I am outraged how you feel you're entitled to thousands of miles of asphalt and people like me have to pay for your wellbeing, it's ridiculous even as a simple thought. It's a bit more ridiculous than getting angry for someone getting free money, but not enough to the point where one should be outraged for marginal abuse.

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
and lets not forget to factor in the wages of the 50,000* government employees "administering" the programs

*looked like a nice number.

Once again you're making shit up. Admit you were lying before you piece of shit.

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by competizione View Post
it's just one of the many ways in which the economy is fucked. not the only way. i was very angry when i posted this as my neighbor who has a "bad back" was cleaning out his gutters and laying down brick for a walkway. what you're saying is obvious anyway.

yes, just one of the ways. but to focus on the small ones while the big ones are the ones truly draining the system is stupid

perhaps you should do your duty and report your neighbor for fraud.

SemperFly

Quote:
we didint live without the navy and army and marines. You know that whole revolution thing. And then that whole civil war thing.

But thats beside the point. Point is there is no reason to let one source of waste continue just because there are others.

planned parenthood is not a source of waste. and there is certainly a point to looking at a much larger source of waste before worrying about a small one

now admit you were lying, asshole

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post
here's a interesting little concept for you: Why not work on both?

If you think welfare fraud is negligible as someone else said in this thread, think again. It's a little more widespread then that.

BORKED

it's negligible because the entire budget is about two week's worth of combat operations in afghanistan. the entire fucking thing. even if every penny of that was fraud it would still be a drop in the bucket.

you can't work on both because the much larger one requires a much larger concerted effort to fix. if you waste time trying to fix the small leak while ignoring the large one you will accomplish nothing. fix the large one FIRST then look at the smaller ones. the smaller ones all put together don't even compare to the big ones.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:

What? I meant we got along just fine before. We already have many agencies in place to protect us, the coast, the air, the sea and the president.

competizione

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
yes, just one of the ways. but to focus on the small ones while the big ones are the ones truly draining the system is stupid

perhaps you should do your duty and report your neighbor for fraud.

It's a small way, yes. But doesn't it piss you off? It pisses me off just as much as the big reasons do, because my money from my paychecks go towards paying these assholes.

I probably shouldn't have posted that, I really wanted to rant about it.

Jack's raging erection

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:

are you really suggesting that there is less military waste than there is in, say, the public education system or panned parenthood? just wow...

brfatal

Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
Military and defense spending is fucking ridiculous.

Our fucking NAVY has the second largest Air Force in the world, but sweet jesus we had better cut all those old people off Meals on Wheels because we can't fucking afford it.

The truth is, Republicans absolutely love the largest, most expensive, and most expansive government program in world history: the US military. They only hate government programs when they aren't used to kill people.

What you fail to see is how much military spending supports the US economy. The defense industry is huge and employs millions outside of US military. But, I guess republicans only spend money in order to kill people....hurr hurr hurr.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
What you fail to see is how much military spending supports the US economy. The defense industry is huge and employs millions outside of US military. But, I guess republicans only spend money in order to kill people....hurr hurr hurr.

That doesn't argue against what he said at all. There certainly is a significant economic effect of all that military spending. At the same time, it's grossly inefficient (both militarily and economically) and enormously bloated.

You either get to believe that government is fundamentally inefficient and wasteful or that the military is an efficient use of taxpayer money. You can't rationally believe both. All these "deficit hawks" who insists that we can't cut the military's budget by one penny (like Paul Ryan) are not serious thinkers; it's a bullshit ideology.

We have politicians calling for the elimination of entire federal agencies but we can't even discuss cutting the military's budget. It's barely acceptable to talk about not increasing their budget. Priorities are so fucked up in this country it's insane. Military is still the largest and most acceptable form of pork spending out there and it doesn't seem likely to change.

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post

no one fails to see that, the argument is that the money would be just as if not more effective is spent on other government programs. you dump half a trillion into NASA and the NSF and you'll see a boon the economy that no amount of defense development could ever match

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by competizione View Post
It's a small way, yes. But doesn't it piss you off? It pisses me off just as much as the big reasons do, because my money from my paychecks go towards paying these assholes.

I probably shouldn't have posted that, I really wanted to rant about it.

people who have very little (even if it's their own fault) abusing the system to keep on living

vs

people who have a lot and abusing the system to get a lot more

the latter pisses me off more and it's also a bigger chunk of the problem

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
no one fails to see that, the argument is that the money would be just as if not more effective is spent on other government programs. you dump half a trillion into NASA and the NSF and you'll see a boon the economy that no amount of defense development could ever match

NASA is technically military

But yes, please to be giving more funding to the people who pay my bills