General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
are you fist fucking me, batman

B7 FOR SPAM ADVERTISING

your vigilink takes me to the Arkham City video game..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SemperFly

it's not my viglink, the forum does that automatically

add http://cdn.viglink.com to your adblock filters

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's raging erection View Post
Well, yeah. Just made that post to mark my guess at what it would do tomorrow so I can see if I understand the pattern thing.

If you want a long term pattern, I'm seeing a dome pattern from Nov-Dec 2011 that looks to be peaking right about now with maybe a month or two of holding between 13-14k before starting to decline again. Then again, I could be wrong and the market is just taking a very cautious period of growth. It all depends on the elections (duh), unless some unforeseen event takes place. Then things would get very interesting.

I think if you're trying to predict future stock market performance by looking at graphs of the total market, you don't understand it. You can't predict future performance from extremely general past performance. It's debatable how much the market is predictable at all, since it's mostly an exercise in psychology and not economic fundamentals.

joemama

Quote:
it's not my viglink, the forum does that automatically

add http://cdn.viglink.com to your adblock filters
Duh? But thanks for looking out for everyone below your lofty intellect....and btw that isn't an option for those of us with real jobs and using company machines.

._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

SemperFly

which you're using to browse genmay while at work, I'm sure your job is so important

joemama

Quote:
which you're using to browse genmay while at work, I'm sure your job is so important
I'm sure that even though I'm not head of the IT dept....they're all in my pocket. And no, my job isn't really important outside of the company itself...but it pays the bills.

._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Forever Domon

ugh, had to block your AV at work semper :/

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
I'm sure that even though I'm not head of the IT dept....they're all in my pocket. And no, my job isn't really important outside of the company itself...but it pays the bills.

either way, I've long held that if you don't have enough control over your machine to adblock something you probably shouldn't be on genmay in the first place

BUT THE POINT IS THAT I DIDNT ADD THE SPAM, THAT WAS VIGILANTE. IT EVEN SAYS VIGLINK

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
ugh, had to block your AV at work semper :/

or just turn off avs, finklemug

joemama

Quote:

either way, I've long held that if you don't have enough control over your machine to adblock something you probably shouldn't be on genmay in the first place

BUT THE POINT IS THAT I DIDNT ADD THE SPAM, THAT WAS VIGILANTE. IT EVEN SAYS VIGLINK
Normally that would be true, but I'm responsible for the head of IT having a job when he badly needed one....and I hang out with him and some of the other guys outside of work.

edit- and Vig is going to be eaten by bears eventually..no worries.

._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Last edited by joemama; 05-03-2012 at 11:31 AM..

Forever Domon

Quote:
or just turn off avs, finklemug
how would i recognize people on a glance then.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
"You guys aren't getting ripped off by people like me, look, someone else brought you Google!"

"If we aren't allowed to be as rich as possible, we will stop making money altogether"

etc

I don't understand how you can see 40%+ of all wealth concentrated in the hands of 1% of the population and seriously say, not only is that good, we need more of that. You know what you get when the majority of the wealth is concentrated in 1% of the population's pockets? It's called Feudalism. talk about living in a fucking bubble.

At least someone finally explained to the republicans that the Ryan budget plan is based on the teachings of Ayn Rand and not Jesus Christ or any church.

Jack's raging erection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
I think if you're trying to predict future stock market performance by looking at graphs of the total market, you don't understand it. You can't predict future performance from extremely general past performance. It's debatable how much the market is predictable at all, since it's mostly an exercise in psychology and not economic fundamentals.

True, that explains why I got a total fucking goose egg on that whole idea of dow making a gain yesterday. However, they don't pay attention to patterns for nothing. They're not 99.99% accurate, but they can help people feel more secure about their strategy, which at least has an effect on an individual stock (day traders [read: speculators] ought to be shot).

I'll back that dome thing I was talking earlier with all the about how unemployment is supposedly going down, so to speak, for April, but the hiring has fallen off. That's going to shake some confidence there, and today might be another red number. Triple digit red maybe. -100 ish. We'll see what they feed us with the unemployment numbers later this morning, anyway. That's just going to be today's part of the dome, though. Might have effect over the week depending on how bad the report is.

Gibonius

I am very far from a stock expert, but the psychological component is significant enough that most people cannot be trusted to actively manage their portfolio. My strategy is "invested in various diversified index funds and don't check them very often" and it's working out well. The people who check compulsively every day freak the hell out of themselves, make occasional dumb decisions on impulse, and don't do any better in the long run.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
I am very far from a stock expert, but the psychological component is significant enough that most people cannot be trusted to actively manage their portfolio. My strategy is "invested in various diversified index funds and don't check them very often" and it's working out well. The people who check compulsively every day freak the hell out of themselves, make occasional dumb decisions on impulse, and don't do any better in the long run.
You just haven't quite grasped the essential key to happiness and everything else. Which is short term profit over everything else. You're supposed to try and achieve this on a personal level regardless of the consequences, while you reprimand everyone else that is doing it.