General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
5ive
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
Just changing the office of President is not going to make any sort of immediate impact on the state of the economy.

I never said it would
__________________
Chicho is full of win.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective
Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 PM 5ive is offline  
Reply With Quote
#46  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
You people honestly think mitt fucking romney is the better alternative?

He knows how to get even richer than he already was lucky enough to already be born as by running a vulture capitalist corporation that literally epitimized the bad guy from the first wall street movie, Gordon Gecko, the guy who said "Greed is good."...

that automatically makes him better at running our country than some dumb-ass public organizing constitutional scholar who actually lived "the american dream" of coming from virtually nothing to become financially successful, the first black editor of the Harvard review, a senator and the first black president of the united states...
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 PM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#47  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
Seems that many of the job cuts / slowing job growth have been in the public sector....thanks to conservative fiscal policies. gg nice try

And this can't all be credited to Obama, as this was mainly done by states who could no longer support their public workers because of the Bush tax cuts which reduced the amount of federal funding states get back...

But, with that said, the crazy socialist Obama has presided over the loss of something like ~600,000 public sector jobs.

A lot of the "stimulus" helped stem some of that tide but even still... those are the numbers.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 06-02-2012, 12:04 AM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#48  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
Just changing the office of President is not going to make any sort of immediate impact on the state of the economy.

Indeed, it's more about congress. but as much as they are universally loathed by the nation, when it comes time to elect, everyone seems to think their guy is great so we largely end up with the same bunch of useless assholes making all the real decisions.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 06-02-2012, 12:06 AM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#49  

Jack's raging erection
 
Jack's raging erection's Avatar
 
Strange thought here. Let's have Romney win this election. That way, when the economy really goes to shit under his watch with his and the Tea Tards policies, his weak leadership skills will cause a potential civil war. Most assuredly, America will fall apart, civil war or not. Then we can start over from scratch. If there is anything or anyone left, that is.

That way, we can get back to it being our fault. Not the greedy rich fucker's fault. Not Obama's fault. Not Boehner's fault. Certainly, not the poor bastards' fault. Not the military. Not the [insert group/person ad nauseum here].

That's why we're fucked. We've lost track of how it's everyone's fault. We let America get this way. Now, how the fuck can we fix it? Right now, we can't. As long as we're too busy fucking around with my way or the highway partisan politics, we're fucked. Hard. Zero lube. Broken glass bottle. So, we can get right, or get stupid. How's it gonna be, America? I know having a thought might be a near fatal experience for most of you, but shit. We've gotta do something. Fast.
__________________
My real name is Shaved Dog's Ass.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:08 AM Jack's raging erection is offline  
Reply With Quote
#50  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Uhh..according to my dad prices/inflation were higher in the early 80's than they are today. And interest rates were sky high...good for buying bonds and shit, but very bad for mortgages/car loans etc..

And Gibsy is right, those were different times...

Your dad is full of shit about prices, but correct on interest rates.

However, before Reagan and his wonderful tax cuts, you used to be able to write off the interest on your loans...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/In_what_ye...n_income_taxes


If you could still do that today and Obama tried to take that away, Grover Norquist's head would fucking explode.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street

Last edited by pyramid; 06-02-2012 at 12:18 AM..
Old 06-02-2012, 12:09 AM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#51  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's raging erection View Post
Strange thought here. Let's have Romney win this election. That way, when the economy really goes to shit under his watch with his and the Tea Tards policies, his weak leadership skills will cause a potential civil war. Most assuredly, America will fall apart, civil war or not. Then we can start over from scratch. If there is anything or anyone left, that is.

That way, we can get back to it being our fault. Not the greedy rich fucker's fault. Not Obama's fault. Not Boehner's fault. Certainly, not the poor bastards' fault. Not the military. Not the [insert group/person ad nauseum here].

That's why we're fucked. We've lost track of how it's everyone's fault. We let America get this way. Now, how the fuck can we fix it? Right now, we can't. As long as we're too busy fucking around with my way or the highway partisan politics, we're fucked. Hard. Zero lube. Broken glass bottle. So, we can get right, or get stupid. How's it gonna be, America? I know having a thought might be a near fatal experience for most of you, but shit. We've gotta do something. Fast.

The reason this election really matters is because the president and congress who preside over the next 4 years will most likely elect the next two supreme court judges.

If you want 2 more of scalia and thomas dominating the court, go ahead and think that voting doesn't matter or vote for romney...
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 06-02-2012, 12:13 AM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#52  

JCviggen
 
If your president is in such "direct" control of the nation that he's responsible for the whole show (and world economy) what's the point of having a house and congress? (who can't pass anything useful to save their lives)
__________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 AM JCviggen is offline  
Reply With Quote
#53  

Jack's raging erection
 
Jack's raging erection's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
The reason this election really matters is because the president and congress who preside over the next 4 years will most likely elect the next two supreme court judges.

If you want 2 more of scalia and thomas dominating the court, go ahead and think that voting doesn't matter or vote for romney...

Either way, it's truth or consequences time. Doesn't matter who wins. We either get our shit together as a country, or we don't. We've had plenty of time to stall out and watch Europe do what it thought was best to recover, so we have ideas on what works and what doesn't. We have no excuse to fail, I feel.
__________________
My real name is Shaved Dog's Ass.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:36 AM Jack's raging erection is offline  
Reply With Quote
#54  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's raging erection View Post
Strange thought here. Let's have Romney win this election. That way, when the economy really goes to shit under his watch with his and the Tea Tards policies, his weak leadership skills will cause a potential civil war. Most assuredly, America will fall apart, civil war or not. Then we can start over from scratch. If there is anything or anyone left, that is.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:13 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#55  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Your dad is full of shit about prices, but correct on interest rates.

However, before Reagan and his wonderful tax cuts, you used to be able to write off the interest on your loans...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/In_what_ye...n_income_taxes


If you could still do that today and Obama tried to take that away, Grover Norquist's head would fucking explode.
He was specifically referring to the recession years of 1980-82 with 18%+ interest rates (good if you're already established and have money, not so good if you're in your 20's) adjusted gas prices that are higher than today...and rampant inflation which has a wonderful effect of making prices for nearly everything higher. According to my dad, things were pretty good in the late 80's, 90's (until the dot-com debacle) and early 00's compared to the 70's-early 80's and today.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 06-02-2012, 07:05 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#56  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
He was specifically referring to the recession years of 1980-82 with 18%+ interest rates (good if you're already established and have money, not so good if you're in your 20's) adjusted gas prices that are higher than today...and rampant inflation which has a wonderful effect of making prices for nearly everything higher. According to my dad, things were pretty good in the late 80's, 90's (until the dot-com debacle) and early 00's compared to the 70's-early 80's and today.

That should be pretty obvious, no? "Things were better in the extended period between major recessions, than they were during the recessions."
Old 06-02-2012, 07:29 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#57  

s0me0nesmind1
 
s0me0nesmind1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
I'm sure Europe had absolutely nothing to do with this.

Actually, the DOW Dropping had all to do with the jobs report that released But nice try cock gobbler.
__________________
8e12bfe909ef9fcfaa2d400a638d4801 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
║▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
╚═╝
Old 06-02-2012, 07:51 AM s0me0nesmind1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#58  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
That should be pretty obvious, no? "Things were better in the extended period between major recessions, than they were during the recessions."
My point is that if you acknowledge that things were worse in the early 80's than today (and give Obama credit for that) then you at least have to give partial credit to Reagan for pulling us out back then. But I agree with what you said earlier about the President having influence, but not absolute control of the economy. However the liberal mindset seems to be the President takes full credit for good/bad (or just bad if they're anything but Democrat) and can single handedly start wars.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 06-02-2012, 07:58 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#59  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Actually, the DOW Dropping had all to do with the jobs report that released But nice try cock gobbler.
But wouldn't have dropped as far if Europe wasn't in a bind atm...both were factors.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 06-02-2012, 08:00 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#60  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.