General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Corporations have been classed legally as a "person" with most of the same protections for a good portion of the existence of the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

your mother on the other hand, classified as a wildebeest since 1957

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post

I wish that were true. Then I could get a big game license and shoot the bitch.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Corporations have been classed legally as a "person" with most of the same protections for a good portion of the existence of the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

From your own link:

Quote:
In Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad, 118 U.S. 394 (1886), the reporter noted in the headnote to the opinion that the Chief Justice began oral argument by stating, "The court does not wish to hear argument on the question whether the provision in the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution, which forbids a State to deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws, applies to these corporations. We are all of the opinion that it does."[1] While the headnote is not part of the Court's opinion and thus not precedent...

Hooray for setting precedent where none existed!

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
lol...what kind of limpy sites do you lurk to get all these stupid political charts? I'm looking forward to many more of these insightful and totally unbiased graphical wonders as the campaign heats up..

How is that chart stupid or inaccurate?

That is the actual makeup of the supreme court and three of the justices are about to retire. Also, both candidates have both publicly stated their opinions on corporate personhood multiple times.

There is nothing inaccurate or biased about it.

TheMorlock

In 1818, the United States Supreme Court decided Dartmouth College v. Woodward, 17 U.S. 518 (1819), writing: "The opinion of the Court, after mature deliberation, is that this corporate charter is a contract, the obligation of which cannot be impaired without violating the Constitution of the United States. This opinion appears to us to be equally supported by reason, and by the former decisions of this Court."

try again

and hooray for understanding that precedent has to get set sometime.

pyramid

How does a corporate charter equaling a contract equal corporate personhood?

Just because your corporation/charter/contract can enjoy protections under the law or the constitution, that doesn't make it a person.

Even your link points out that corporations are not entitled to all the protections in the constitution, like the 5th amendment, because they are not actual people/individuals.

Last edited by pyramid; 06-24-2012 at 01:54 PM..

TheMorlock

sigh

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
lol...what kind of limpy sites do you lurk to get all these stupid political charts? I'm looking forward to many more of these insightful and totally unbiased graphical wonders as the campaign heats up..

I'd give you a site but there is none. I google certain topics as they come up in conversation or on TV. Then if I learn something interesting I share it with you guys.

Inevitably there are negative responses but hey so what.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
Daaang

[H]ard|On

Quote:
In 1818, the United States Supreme Court decided Dartmouth College v. Woodward, 17 U.S. 518 (1819), writing: "The opinion of the Court, after mature deliberation, is that this corporate charter is a contract, the obligation of which cannot be impaired without violating the Constitution of the United States. This opinion appears to us to be equally supported by reason, and by the former decisions of this Court."

try again

and hooray for understanding that precedent has to get set sometime.

You have to realize that this concept is not an all or none deal. It's useful in some cases like when a company is being sued, or a company is suing someone. It simply makes it easier to treat them as a person. It also simplifies contractual obligations and other disputes.

We can grant them (corporations) some rights, or all rights. If they are viewed as a person then naturally they qualify for all rights. I think we need to face the fact that a corporation is NOT a person, and should therefore have select rights instead of being lumped into an existing legal category of "person/citizen"

So curtailing legal bribes = good, in my book.

[H]ard|On

Or in other words, what's worse than government regulating business?

Business regulating government!

TUT RAGE!!!

You fail to see the big picture here mother fucker.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
You have to realize that this concept is not an all or none deal. It's useful in some cases like when a company is being sued, or a company is suing someone. It simply makes it easier to treat them as a person. It also simplifies contractual obligations and other disputes.

We can grant them (corporations) some rights, or all rights. If they are viewed as a person then naturally they qualify for all rights. I think we need to face the fact that a corporation is NOT a person, and should therefore have select rights instead of being lumped into an existing legal category of "person/citizen"

So curtailing legal bribes = good, in my book.

learn to read. you have to ensure most rights simply to avoid voiding the rights of the individuals that make up a group.

The law already denies rights to groups that can be solely granted to an individual such as the right to vote and the fifth amendment right to not give evidence against them.

Once again. Current law merely continues the rights already granted some of which were granted at the founding of the country.

Nothing to see here folks move along.

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
Yes, Obama, a true anti-corporate candidate

also something the occutards keep leaving out: citizens united applies to unions, the democracts and occutard's best friend. Big Labor's political contributions are not exactly peanuts

zeos

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post

also something the occutards keep leaving out: citizens united applies to unions, the democracts and occutard's best friend. Big Labor's political contributions are not exactly peanuts

you're clearly misinformed, the ~billion dollars the pres raised for the last election came entirely from the piggy banks and candy dishes of orphans and widows.