General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Ironically kids these days perform better than kids during the 70s, when all the Boomers were in school. That was actually one of our worst periods in terms of educational quality.

I don't like the self-esteem culture, but no reason to perpetuate the myth about educational quality then and now.
It's not about the educational quality then vs now...look at it again. Even boomers acknowledge that each successive generation gets better educated overall. (in some ways, in others not so much)

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/········\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

aoeoae

"you are not special" commencement speech to high school students
http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/12/opinio...ial/index.html

"quit telling us we’re not special" response from millennial
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/phoenix...e-not-special/

though i'm relatively well-employed and dont really identify with OWS, the transition from starry-eyed grad to boring normal person has felt nothing short of devastating to me. men used to just have a mid-life crisis in their thirties, now we have the quarter-life crisis to boot. it's just bouncing between crises on the way to nowhere.

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

that second link was interesting to read, but it invalidates itself by trying to blame every single short coming of one generation on another.

I Sell Your Kid Drugs

OWS has just turned into another outlet for the younger generation's . At the very beginning I thought they actually had some good points but then the whole thing just exploded into a total mess of homelessness and ignorance. I feel like the same thing happened with the Libertarian party. At first I really liked what they represented, and they seemed fairly normal -- but nowadays it's become all insane rednecks espousing their affiliation. I don't think it's a mental health crisis, I think it's just stupidity.

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Speaking of teachers, this speaks volumes to how stupid our generation is (including the parents).

pretty much....

dio

I believe that the intuitionthat you should have your basic needs met, always, is a correct intuition that most OWS people have.

You should never have to worry about losing your small studio apartment, losing a cheap car, not getting proper food, and not getting basic healthcare. These basics should be provided for. No one should be living on the streets, and no one should have to eat bad food, and no one should be suffering needlessly from easily corrected health problems, and no one should have to bust their balls to get adequate transportation.

But the way OWS is going about trying to accomplish this is absolutely retarded.

I've actually gone back and forth on this opinion alot. At one point I used to think, fuck no, if you don't work and don't make it, you starve in the streets. Then at another point I would hold the opinion I just expressed, that basics should be provided by a system. I've gone back and forth between these two opinions alot, and ultimately decided that the system where all basics would be provided would be a far better system all around for everyone, because if everyone had basics covered this would primarily do three things:
1. Make people alot less afraid to fail, and more likely to take risks. People would be more willing to invest all they got in attempting to try something, making new businesses, coming up with new ideas. Whatever. This would also have the effect that really shitty employers could not exist. If someone is a shitty employer, the employees would always have the option to quit. No one would ever have to undergo demeaning work and psychological abuse that shitty employers often force people into. This would make it so that the market is no longer controlled and driven by fear, it would instead be controlled and driven by what people actually like, what people actually need, what is actually good for humanity. It will allow us to evolve faster.
2. With that lower the overall stress and tension and 'survival mode' state of mind people exist in will be lessened considerably. Lower stress, lower tension, not being in survival mode or other lower states of consciousness will ultimately produce a much more intelligent and creative culture. Ultimately making a much better problem solving culture, and a much more capable culture. This will also most likely radically lower crime, and with lowered stress radically lower overall health care costs, and bad habits people develop from stress.
3. Such a system would turn everyone into rabid consumers. If you never had to worry about covering your rent, car, or food, the only reason you would work, or create, is to buy other things, spend money on other things. This would make the economy churn much much quicker, and allow all those 'riskier' business ideas, and creative business endeavors to have a much greater shot of making it somewhere.

Really I think Valve Software is an ideal prototypical culture for the future...
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abras...at-im-doing-2/

Valve has generally demonstrated that if you take off the stress, take off the pressure, and simply provide the necessary base resources, people will naturally organize themselves into creative processes and creation of value.

I know someone probably thinks "but who is going to pay for all of that?" Well if we stopped spending on war, and killing people, there would easily be enough to cover everyones basic needs. Just divert the military budget to being the peoples basics needs budget. If you we could just figure out how to stop killing each other, and actually effectively listen and communicate to one another everyone could literally be living in some kind of paradise.

Last edited by dio; 08-08-2012 at 12:45 AM..

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Ironically kids these days perform better than kids during the 70s, when all the Boomers were in school. That was actually one of our worst periods in terms of educational quality.

I don't like the self-esteem culture, but no reason to perpetuate the myth about educational quality then and now.

Thats good to hear because for the most part that cartoon is true.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post
pretty much....

How do I get someone to pay my mortgage and buy me a hybrid car?

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows View Post
Is that still going on?

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. The fucking losers, bums and retards that mostly made up the OWS lacked the determination and peristence to win at life, what makes you think they'd stick with something as difficult and tedious as continuing some lame protest for any extended period of time?

5ive

Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Jack's raging erection

No, it's a two generation thing. Maybe even more than that. The generation before us got hosed with Vietnam. They compensate for this with their demand for $100k+ salaries, and six digit bonuses just for showing up to work on time. You know, so life seems all square to them now, because they got theirs from the man.

Then, after being scarred by that, they don't want their children to have to go through that, so they get coddled, told that they're thuper thpecial , and that one day, if you work as hard as I do, you'll get your multimillion dollar job. Well, that's all an impossibility, so now these kids are a waste. They never really apply themselves, so they can't do anything when they try and get this OWS thing going. They can't even figure out what's wrong, because they've never had to deal with the consequences of failing directly.

So, now we have a generation overcompensating with our economy to feel better about themselves, and the generation after them is left with nothing to work with. Not that it matters, since they're so special that they're useless. To fix this level of stupid requires that everyone pulls together. These people from the 70's need to see that they don't really need that much to get from day to day, and these millennials need to own up to the fact that they're the all singing, all dancing, crap of the world.

That's what's wrong with America, but no one will do anything about it. Both sides find the possibility of being wrong extremely offensive. They all think being wrong is a sign of weakness or something like that. Their pride gets in the way of it all. We're just one big, delusional country right now. It's the same thing that happens before the fall of empires. If we can pull off correcting ourselves, we may be the first to do so in history. I'm not familiar with the histories of every empire that ever existed in the world, though. So, I could be wrong about that.