General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
5ive
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Eagle View Post
OWS was just a symptom and hasn't really changed anything, now there is a backlash against any kind of leftist populist movement lol. It was way too neboulous and dis organized to accomplish anything and the media was de legitimizing it from day one. I don't disagree that some of its goals were agreeable though.

What I always think is funny/sad is that people still support the Democratic party. I mean, it's not particularly leftist to want higher wages (this is literally supported by politicians on both sides of the spectrum if you actually ask them, which is what my organization was doing), stronger unions, stronger regulations, and so on. Those used to be things in the domain of the Democratic party, but somewhere along the line they stopped truly supporting them. I went to see a few authors give talks about the economy at the AFL-CIO HQ this summer--mostly to get out of work but also to see what they had to say. They all said that the economy is fucked up and while the Republicans are pretty bad, the Democrats aren't great either. None of them suggested, however, to vote the Democrats out or reform the electoral system to create a multiparty system. Even the AFL-CIO backs Obama. So I don't think we'll see any "leftist populist movement" succeed until conditions worsen or people stop believing the Democrats.
__________________
Chicho is full of win.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective
Old 08-09-2012, 05:36 AM 5ive is offline  
Reply With Quote
#91  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

s0me0nesmind1
 
s0me0nesmind1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
What I always think is funny/sad is that people still support the Democratic party. I mean, it's not particularly leftist to want higher wages (this is literally supported by politicians on both sides of the spectrum if you actually ask them, which is what my organization was doing), stronger unions, stronger regulations, and so on. Those used to be things in the domain of the Democratic party, but somewhere along the line they stopped truly supporting them. I went to see a few authors give talks about the economy at the AFL-CIO HQ this summer--mostly to get out of work but also to see what they had to say. They all said that the economy is fucked up and while the Republicans are pretty bad, the Democrats aren't great either. None of them suggested, however, to vote the Democrats out or reform the electoral system to create a multiparty system. Even the AFL-CIO backs Obama. So I don't think we'll see any "leftist populist movement" succeed until conditions worsen or people stop believing the Democrats.


Protesting for higher wages is the most laughable thing I have ever seen. That is because it's only the people who hold the shittiest jobs that are minimum wage grade!

It just kinda baffles me. There is currently that one where janitors are protesting. Look here is the deal - SOMEONE has to get paid minimum wage. There has to a level in which the bottom of the barrel jobs are determined. If you want your bottom of the barrel job to be paid more, than fucking protest the government to raise the minimum wage

Someone has to do the shitty work - but the end all point is that these are all relating to jobs that require NO talent. These are jobs your parents will start teaching you at the age of 3... like how to wipe your ass. These are skills everyone has, hence anyone can do it. Your pay grade should be determined on the below:
-Your skills
-The rarity of your skills.

That's it. If everyone else in the world past the age of 16 can do your job, you deserve minimum wage. But there is a simple rebuttal - most people are simply going to say "fuck this, I'll just quit and go on welfare". And that, my friends, is where government hand outs go wrong. Hand outs should be so minimalism that you are just above the level of starvation.
__________________
8e12bfe909ef9fcfaa2d400a638d4801 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
║▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
╚═╝
Old 08-09-2012, 06:51 AM s0me0nesmind1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#92  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Protesting for higher wages is the most laughable thing I have ever seen. That is because it's only the people who hold the shittiest jobs that are minimum wage grade!

Your lack of knowledge of history is laughable. When has protesting for better wages and working conditions ever worked except for all the things you take for granted?

Quote:
It just kinda baffles me. There is currently that one where janitors are protesting. Look here is the deal - SOMEONE has to get paid minimum wage. There has to a level in which the bottom of the barrel jobs are determined. If you want your bottom of the barrel job to be paid more, than fucking protest the government to raise the minimum wage
*then

And the government hasn't raised the minimum wage in many years.

Quote:
Someone has to do the shitty work - but the end all point is that these are all relating to jobs that require NO talent. These are jobs your parents will start teaching you at the age of 3... like how to wipe your ass. These are skills everyone has, hence anyone can do it. Your pay grade should be determined on the below:
-Your skills
-The rarity of your skills.
How about the willingness of others to do that work?

Quote:
That's it. If everyone else in the world past the age of 16 can do your job, you deserve minimum wage. But there is a simple rebuttal - most people are simply going to say "fuck this, I'll just quit and go on welfare". And that, my friends, is where government hand outs go wrong. Hand outs should be so minimalism that you are just above the level of starvation.
You can make more on minimum wage than you can on welfare, you dumbfuck. The "handouts" ARE just above the level of starvation.

/you suck

/no really, you suck
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street

Last edited by pyramid; 08-09-2012 at 09:37 AM..
Old 08-09-2012, 09:31 AM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#93  

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)
 
OneWhoKnows's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
If you want your bottom of the barrel job to be paid more, than fucking protest the government to raise the minimum wage

That sounds like something a filthy democrat would say.
__________________
Intarweb married to [H]ustler 12/08/03
OWK of Team OWK
Gen[M]ay Motorcyclist 2004 YZF-R1 / 2006 YZF-R6
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"
Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 AM OneWhoKnows is offline  
Reply With Quote
#94  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
Quote:
And the government hasn't raised the minimum wage in many years.
But states have. Almost every year
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 AM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#95  

5ive
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Not every state, not every year, and none of them are a livable wage.

edit: s0me0nesmind1 isn't actually arguing against what I said, anyway. I said we should raise the minimum wage, not ask private companies to pay their workers more (because they won't unless compelled to by the government)
__________________
Chicho is full of win.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective

Last edited by 5ive; 08-09-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Old 08-09-2012, 10:01 AM 5ive is offline  
Reply With Quote
#96  

s0me0nesmind1
 
s0me0nesmind1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Your lack of knowledge of history is laughable. When has protesting for better wages and working conditions ever worked except for all the things you take for granted?



*then

And the government hasn't raised the minimum wage in many years.



How about the willingness of others to do that work?



You can make more on minimum wage than you can on welfare, you dumbfuck. The "handouts" ARE just above the level of starvation.

/you suck

/no really, you suck

Jesus fuck you're retarded to boot. You are the only one here that would even disagree with what I just said. I never said protesting isn't a right, by all means. But like I said, you clean up SHIT. It's something every mother, father, son, and daughter knows how to do. Therefore - you have no skill.

I know you make more off min. wage you fucktard, the difference is you get to sit around and jack off all day too If you don't think there is plenty of people that would rather sit around and do nothing than work a job, then you obviously haven't taken a step outside, nigger
__________________
8e12bfe909ef9fcfaa2d400a638d4801 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
║▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
╚═╝
Old 08-09-2012, 10:33 AM s0me0nesmind1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#97  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
also, since when is 2007 many years thats when the FLA pushed it up by almost 2 bucks.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:36 AM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#98  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
there are definitely some fucked up states, like wyoming, where employees that "could" receive tips, even if they dont, can be paid $2.10 an hour. Thats fuckin 1940s wages.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:37 AM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#99  

s0me0nesmind1
 
s0me0nesmind1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
there are definitely some fucked up states, like wyoming, where employees that "could" receive tips, even if they dont, can be paid $2.10 an hour. Thats fuckin 1940s wages.

I can definitely agree with this however - we are the ONLY fucking country "tip" like it's a job or it's part of the price Tip is FUCKING EARNED. There is NO other country where a tip is expected. There is NO other country where you worry about your food being spit or pissed on because they don't expect a tip. It's certainly appreciated when you do, but they still don't care. Now this whole "tip" phenom is spreading everywhere. Tip your haircutter. Tip your driver. tip your massage parlor ? Tip your Starbucks drink maker. Tip your bartender (this one in particular I laugh at). It's STUPID. I do tip waitors though for that very reason of it being legal to put their actual paycheck below minimum.

If anyone says I'm a dick or something, take a step outside the world you call America. I know it requires a pass-port, I know, but just fucking do it and realize how stupid people are here.

There are fucking places that are to-go and the receipt has a tip line. I tip for WEIGHTED SERVICE. As in, you bring me stuff and continuously come and answer the shit I tell you to do while I sit on my ass. That can be worthy of tip. But when I order a burrito to go and your cash register has a tip line I roll my eyes. Same for a drink maker. Ooooo you reached down to the ice chest, got a glass, and pour a beer out of a keg. Thats TOUGH labor thurrr... Oh, you made a margarita and had to mix some things! Shit that requires using some brain functionality! Tip!



/offtopic rant
__________________
8e12bfe909ef9fcfaa2d400a638d4801 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
║▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
╚═╝
Old 08-09-2012, 11:14 AM s0me0nesmind1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#100  

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)
 
OneWhoKnows's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
I can definitely agree with this however - we are the ONLY fucking country "tip" like it's a job or it's part of the price Tip is FUCKING EARNED. There is NO other country where a tip is expected. There is NO other country where you worry about your food being spit or pissed on because they don't expect a tip. It's certainly appreciated when you do, but they still don't care. Now this whole "tip" phenom is spreading everywhere. Tip your haircutter. Tip your driver. tip your massage parlor ? Tip your Starbucks drink maker. Tip your bartender (this one in particular I laugh at). It's STUPID. I do tip waitors though for that very reason of it being legal to put their actual paycheck below minimum.

If anyone says I'm a dick or something, take a step outside the world you call America. I know it requires a pass-port, I know, but just fucking do it and realize how stupid people are here.

There are fucking places that are to-go and the receipt has a tip line. I tip for WEIGHTED SERVICE. As in, you bring me stuff and continuously come and answer the shit I tell you to do while I sit on my ass. That can be worthy of tip. But when I order a burrito to go and your cash register has a tip line I roll my eyes. Same for a drink maker. Ooooo you reached down to the ice chest, got a glass, and pour a beer out of a keg. Thats TOUGH labor thurrr... Oh, you made a margarita and had to mix some things! Shit that requires using some brain functionality! Tip!



/offtopic rant

__________________
Intarweb married to [H]ustler 12/08/03
OWK of Team OWK
Gen[M]ay Motorcyclist 2004 YZF-R1 / 2006 YZF-R6
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"
Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 AM OneWhoKnows is offline  
Reply With Quote
#101  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
But states have. Almost every year

Sure, on account of the Federal Reserve being chronically unable to maintain stable prices (y'know, half of it's dual mandate).

If inflation weren't occurring, then the minimum wage wouldn't need adjustment.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:43 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#102  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
I can definitely agree with this however - we are the ONLY fucking country "tip" like it's a job or it's part of the price Tip is FUCKING EARNED. There is NO other country where a tip is expected. There is NO other country where you worry about your food being spit or pissed on because they don't expect a tip. It's certainly appreciated when you do, but they still don't care. Now this whole "tip" phenom is spreading everywhere. Tip your haircutter. Tip your driver. tip your massage parlor ? Tip your Starbucks drink maker. Tip your bartender (this one in particular I laugh at). It's STUPID. I do tip waitors though for that very reason of it being legal to put their actual paycheck below minimum.

If anyone says I'm a dick or something, take a step outside the world you call America. I know it requires a pass-port, I know, but just fucking do it and realize how stupid people are here.

There are fucking places that are to-go and the receipt has a tip line. I tip for WEIGHTED SERVICE. As in, you bring me stuff and continuously come and answer the shit I tell you to do while I sit on my ass. That can be worthy of tip. But when I order a burrito to go and your cash register has a tip line I roll my eyes. Same for a drink maker. Ooooo you reached down to the ice chest, got a glass, and pour a beer out of a keg. Thats TOUGH labor thurrr... Oh, you made a margarita and had to mix some things! Shit that requires using some brain functionality! Tip!



/offtopic rant
Protip-
The U.S. is NOT the only country where tipping is customary, (but not required) and even in some countries that don't have a tipping culture you can find areas (Hong Kong for example) where tips are still expected for certain services. Some countries actually add fixed "service charges" to certain bills which is a way of saying "we don't pay our employees very much but we don't expect you to tip either...*wink* *wink*"

But yeah, I agree that a tipping culture just means more profits for business owners, and a class of workers who may or may not make enough to live on depending on the whims of customers. Having said that, there are some people in the service industry that live VERY well off of the extravagant tips they receive..
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 08-09-2012, 12:54 PM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#103  

s0me0nesmind1
 
s0me0nesmind1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Protip-
The U.S. is NOT the only country where tipping is customary, (but not required) and even in some countries that don't have a tipping culture you can find areas (Hong Kong for example) where tips are still expected for certain services. Some countries actually add fixed "service charges" to certain bills which is a way of saying "we don't pay our employees very much but we don't expect you to tip either...*wink* *wink*"

But yeah, I agree that a tipping culture just means more profits for business owners, and a class of workers who may or may not make enough to live on depending on the whims of customers. Having said that, there are some people in the service industry that live VERY well off of the extravagant tips they receive..

Everything has a fucking service charge you dolt. When you go to the auto store and you need a new headlight, do you pay for the headlight? No take a look at your fucking receipt, it says SERVICE charge. HENCE THEIR JOB IS THE SERVICE AND YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT. You don't have the talent of doing the service, or you don't feel like doing the service, hence you will pay for THEIR service. Do you then tip him afterwords? No - because it's there on the receipt. So why do other people feel a need to tip for other service. A service is a service, and thats what you are paying for.

When you go to get a haircut, the price you pay IS the service. So why are you expecting more for the tip - thats what the price is there for.
When you go to the restaurant, the price you pay for the food IS the service (hence $4 for a beer that $4 pays for an entire 6 pack). Hence my only reason for tipping at a restaurant is the fact that they can be paid under minimum by the government which I disagree with. Plus if you have X amount of people they actually "require" a 15-20% tip So god damn laughable. How do deserve extra for something you haven't done?
When you take a taxi, the price you pay IS the service. So why are you expecting more for the tip? Thats what the price is there for.

I have been to France, Japan, and Brazil. No one else is anywhere near our shit. There is no tip line bull shit. If you leave a Euro on the table, thats all cool - but it's NOT expected. It's our culture where the person next to you would be like "HUH?! YOU DIDN'T TIP?!?! HOW COULD YOU?!"
__________________
8e12bfe909ef9fcfaa2d400a638d4801 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
║▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
╚═╝
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM s0me0nesmind1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#104  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Everything has a fucking service charge you dolt. When you go to the auto store and you need a new headlight, do you pay for the headlight? No take a look at your fucking receipt, it says SERVICE charge. HENCE THEIR JOB IS THE SERVICE AND YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT. You don't have the talent of doing the service, or you don't feel like doing the service, hence you will pay for THEIR service. Do you then tip him afterwords? No - because it's there on the receipt. So why do other people feel a need to tip for other service. A service is a service, and thats what you are paying for.

When you go to get a haircut, the price you pay IS the service. So why are you expecting more for the tip - thats what the price is there for.
When you go to the restaurant, the price you pay for the food IS the service (hence $4 for a beer that $4 pays for an entire 6 pack). Hence my only reason for tipping at a restaurant is the fact that they can be paid under minimum by the government which I disagree with. Plus if you have X amount of people they actually "require" a 15-20% tip So god damn laughable. How do deserve extra for something you haven't done?
When you take a taxi, the price you pay IS the service. So why are you expecting more for the tip? Thats what the price is there for.

I have been to France, Japan, and Brazil. No one else is anywhere near our shit. There is no tip line bull shit. If you leave a Euro on the table, thats all cool - but it's NOT expected. It's our culture where the person next to you would be like "HUH?! YOU DIDN'T TIP?!?! HOW COULD YOU?!"
yes. You do pay for the headlight. And then you pay for the service. Have you never had a car fixed?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:42 PM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#105  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.