General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Foolioq
 
Foolioq's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Oh God, here we go again..

__________________
Cool like a Fool in a Swimming Pool
Hoolio's Bitch
[P]resident of the John [P]reston Fan Club
Old 08-19-2012, 12:58 PM Foolioq is offline  
Reply With Quote
#46  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

JPF_
 
JPF_'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by augusttremulous View Post
I don't care. Lots of people are idiots, if I cared about them all I'd go crazy. Just because I think somethings makes you less intelligent doesn't mean I don't think you should be allowed to do it.

Why categorize people who believe in something you do not as idiots or lack of intelligence though?

Can we take this to another area? Gun control? Abortion? Wars? Economy? Politics? Because I do not believe what you do, you have the ability to determine my intelligence?


edit: IIRC....You're a female? So, am I too assume also with your logic that you would not date someone who has any religious beliefs even if they were ok with yours?

Last edited by JPF_; 08-19-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Old 08-19-2012, 12:59 PM JPF_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#47  

dio
 
dio's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF_ View Post
The ole adage that "fear of God makes people good" is wearing off. People are slowly becoming self aware. I really feel that if people were to
just stop pretending as if they are unique, and they matter in the scheme of things......we could progress farther. You're not special, you're not
unique. You're one in a few more billion humans to come, now get your shit straight and do something productive that will lead to a better living
for man kind to come.


This train of thought I do not disagree with, but I think if rearranged the other way it would be more beneficial.

It's not that you aren't special or unique, and thus because of that you need to do something productive to humanity. But RATHER, doing something productive for humanity that pushes us forward IS what makes you special and unique.

People in our culture who are recognized as 'special' or 'unique' do not hold that place because they are inherently special or unique, they hold that place because of what they did for humanity.

The truth is, anyone here can be special, or they can be unique. If they remove their ego and put their energy towards the manifestation of the next plane of human existence.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:44 PM dio is offline  
Reply With Quote
#48  

TUT RAGE!!!
 
TUT RAGE!!!'s Avatar
 
another shit dio thread
Old 08-19-2012, 01:48 PM TUT RAGE!!! is offline  
Reply With Quote
#49  

JPF_
 
JPF_'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post

The truth is, anyone here can be special, or they can be unique. If they remove their ego.

This I disagree with.


No one here has an ego,......its just because they are slightly anonymous that they think they can treat people like shit and act all alpha.

In real life most of the users here are just like everyone else....there are a few alphas i can see who act like they do on this board, irl.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:48 PM JPF_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#50  

JPF_
 
JPF_'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUT RAGE!!! View Post
another shit dio thread

Why is your persona such an angry....angry child with so much angst?
Old 08-19-2012, 01:49 PM JPF_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#51  

TUT RAGE!!!
 
TUT RAGE!!!'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF_ View Post
Why is your persona such an angry....angry child with so much angst?

I'm sexy and i know it.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:50 PM TUT RAGE!!! is offline  
Reply With Quote
#52  

dio
 
dio's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by augusttremulous View Post
Not to be a dick (ok, I don't mind being a dick, but that's not what I'm getting at here), why does it matter what you picture it as? Whether it's a suspiciously caucasian sky fairy, or a ball of energy or whatever, it doesn't matter how you picture it as long as you keep all of that shit to yourself. I'm atheist, even anti-theist, but I don't care what you personally believe as long as you don't use those beliefs to fuck shit up. I might think it makes you an idiot, I might question your intelligence or dedication to logic and/or reason if you're so easily swayed by something that is so obviously (blind faith is NOT a good thing), but I don't care what it is you actually believe as long as you're not trying to fuck with other people about it.

And like it or not, suspiciously caucasian sky peeper is how god is portrayed and taught to your kids here in America. Most people come up with alternative ideas about what god is as they grow up and are unable to reconcile what they were taught with the logic their brain has become capable of understanding. It's easy to fool children, that's why tricks like "got your nose" and "peekaboo" work- their brains quite literally do not work in ways conducive to logic and reasoning. As they get older and their brains develop, they begin to understand and are capable of working out more complex problems. Because the idea of a literal god-man up in the clouds becomes so obviously ridiculous, they either sort it in their brains along with Santa and the Easter bunny, who they know are not real but grownups tell them ARE real to scare/bribe them into good behavior, or they come up with alternative ideas of what "god" actually represents.

yelling to the choir? I sense some underlying religious trauma in you.

Here my point in this thread and all this.

People DON'T continue to believe in God because of what they were taught as a kid, or because of some image from pop culture.

Now don't misunderstand what I just said, people DID start to believe in God because of what they were taught as a kid, or because of images from pop culture. No doubt at all that is where a persons belief in God began. Belief in God comes purely from the fact they were taught to do so as a child.

But I do not think they CONTINUE to believe in God because of those childish teachings and because of the images of pop culture, those things dissolve with age. As a believer gets older the word 'God' comes to mean something different and it conjures up a different emotion, and a different feeling. They then attach the word 'God' to whatever that emotion, feeling or image are.

I am curious to know what the literal emotion, feeling, image is that they are attaching the word 'God' too.

I can guarantee you if a 30 year old catholic thought God was a big man floating in the sky that took care of him, it would be really easy to argue some sense into him and knock that nonsense out of his mind. But that isn't what 30 year old catholics thinks God is. The word 'God' is referring to something else in their mind, something that is seemingly difficult to pinpoint, which is why it's hard to argue Catholics out of belief in God. Because when someone tries to argue them out of belief in God, the person trying to argue against them never themselves accurately signifies what God is to the Catholic. So the Catholic assumes the person arguing is only doing so because they don't understand. I think if you could effectively hone in on what God is exactly to a Catholic, and then explain that the word 'God' and thus the Catholic religion doesn't need to be attached to whatever that 'thing' is, this would be the way to disconnect a person from their religion.

I don't think you can remove 'God', the intangible incomprehensible 'something', but you can demonstrate that it has not a single thing to do with anything written now, or ever written in the past. I think the entire Atheist's movement to attack 'God' is inherently flawed, and is obviously not working. Rather the Atheist movement should move to identify what God literally is, and then demonstrate that it has nothing to do with a book a religion. Then in the process of doing so, the word 'God' should be redefined into what it literally is. 'The Force', 'The Source', 'Primal Energy'... whatever
Old 08-19-2012, 01:58 PM dio is offline  
Reply With Quote
#53  

topcat989
 
topcat989's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
That cartoon just seems ignorant to me. All I see is:

"Hurr durr, I don't understand what science teaches us about the universe and I have no interest in even trying to do so, so science is stupid."

I would love to launch into a rant about all the factual errors in that cartoon but I think the only response I would get is:

"There you go with that fag talk again."

I will leave it at this: Science doesn't make up fantastical stories to explain what it can not explain. If you think that is a bad thing... so be it.

*sigh* you just aren't getting my point.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:48 PM topcat989 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#54  

topcat989
 
topcat989's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by augusttremulous View Post
Not to be a dick (ok, I don't mind being a dick, but that's not what I'm getting at here), why does it matter what you picture it as? Whether it's a suspiciously caucasian sky fairy, or a ball of energy or whatever, it doesn't matter how you picture it as long as you keep all of that shit to yourself. I'm atheist, even anti-theist, but I don't care what you personally believe as long as you don't use those beliefs to fuck shit up. I might think it makes you an idiot, I might question your intelligence or dedication to logic and/or reason if you're so easily swayed by something that is so obviously (blind faith is NOT a good thing), but I don't care what it is you actually believe as long as you're not trying to fuck with other people about it.

And like it or not, suspiciously caucasian sky peeper is how god is portrayed and taught to your kids here in America. Most people come up with alternative ideas about what god is as they grow up and are unable to reconcile what they were taught with the logic their brain has become capable of understanding. It's easy to fool children, that's why tricks like "got your nose" and "peekaboo" work- their brains quite literally do not work in ways conducive to logic and reasoning. As they get older and their brains develop, they begin to understand and are capable of working out more complex problems. Because the idea of a literal god-man up in the clouds becomes so obviously ridiculous, they either sort it in their brains along with Santa and the Easter bunny, who they know are not real but grownups tell them ARE real to scare/bribe them into good behavior, or they come up with alternative ideas of what "god" actually represents.

BORKED
Old 08-19-2012, 05:00 PM topcat989 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#55  

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.
 
mikeawesome's Avatar
 
there has to be a "god"
__________________
RIP Malamute
Old 08-19-2012, 05:03 PM mikeawesome is offline  
Reply With Quote
#56  

augusttremulous
The Cat's Pajamas
 
augusttremulous's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF_ View Post
Why categorize people who believe in something you do not as idiots or lack of intelligence though?

Can we take this to another area? Gun control? Abortion? Wars? Economy? Politics? Because I do not believe what you do, you have the ability to determine my intelligence?


edit: IIRC....You're a female? So, am I too assume also with your logic that you would not date someone who has any religious beliefs even if they were ok with yours?

I don't think a belief in god or religion makes you an overall dumb person, I just question the fact that they can allow yourself to believe something so crazy. In fact, I think it's worse when someone is so otherwise intelligent, because I have to wonder what went wrong that allows them to have a blind spot. And I worry that although they are otherwise rational you cannot assume they will show the same level of critical thinking when it comes to their beliefs, what will they do or say or think in the name of their religion that makes no sense or is harmful, but they go along with? Religion can make some pretty normal people do and say some truly fucked up things.

I might have dated someone who had religious beliefs I didn't go in for as long as certain criteria were met (e.g. I would never fuck someone who is anti-choice, couldn't be with someone who is opposed to things like homosexuality/gay marriage, etc.), and unfortunately the major religions tend to be opposed to those things, so it never really happened.
__________________
d4rkspike, wrxhottie, whizzleteets, and asa
Arátoeldar = dad
OddFactor is my spoiled grandson,sloths is my leetle bro
39TH STREET
rmtc<3
8=,,,,===D BlisterDick is the hawtness I desire :drool:

Last edited by augusttremulous; 08-19-2012 at 07:45 PM..
Old 08-19-2012, 07:38 PM augusttremulous is offline  
Reply With Quote
#57  

JPF_
 
JPF_'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by augusttremulous View Post
I don't think a belief in god or religion makes you an overall dumb person, I just question the fact that they can allow yourself to believe something so crazy. In fact, I think it's worse when someone is so otherwise intelligent, because I have to wonder what went wrong that allows them to have a blind spot. And I worry that although they are otherwise rational you cannot assume they will show the same level of critical thinking when it comes to their beliefs, what will they do or say or think in the name of their religion that makes no sense or is harmful, but they go along with? Religion can make some pretty normal people do and say some truly fucked up things.

I might have dated someone who had religious beliefs I didn't go in for as long as certain criteria were met (e.g. I would never fuck someone who is anti-choice, couldn't be with someone who is opposed to things like homosexuality/gay marriage, etc.), and unfortunately the major religions tend to be opposed to those things, so it never really happened.

You're still saying the same thing. In a nut shell....."those who allow themselves to be weak enough to believe there is a higher power in life must have something wrong with them".

And why would you not fuck someone who is anti choice? Are you gay? Then why do you care if someone is opposed to gay marriage? Just because someone is uncomfortable with homosexuality, doesn't mean they will be a shitty fuck, date, husband, or for that matter lack morals. Means their upbringing or their personal beliefs are that man should not be with man, woman with woman.

Because only intelligent people believe in pro choice? Believe its ok for a man to be with a man , woman for woman? Believe there is no God? Believe meat is nasty and only eat leaves?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:28 PM JPF_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#58  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF_ View Post
You're still saying the same thing. In a nut shell....."those who allow themselves to be weak enough to believe there is a higher power in life must have something wrong with them".

now change "believe there is a higher power in life" to "believe in things there is no evidence for"...

why is what would otherwise be described as a mental disorder a virtue in this one case?
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 PM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#59  

augusttremulous
The Cat's Pajamas
 
augusttremulous's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF_ View Post
You're still saying the same thing. In a nut shell....."those who allow themselves to be weak enough to believe there is a higher power in life must have something wrong with them".

And why would you not fuck someone who is anti choice? Are you gay? Then why do you care if someone is opposed to gay marriage? Just because someone is uncomfortable with homosexuality, doesn't mean they will be a shitty fuck, date, husband, or for that matter lack morals. Means their upbringing or their personal beliefs are that man should not be with man, woman with woman.

Because only intelligent people believe in pro choice? Believe its ok for a man to be with a man , woman for woman? Believe there is no God? Believe meat is nasty and only eat leaves?

anti-choice="pro-life"
__________________
d4rkspike, wrxhottie, whizzleteets, and asa
Arátoeldar = dad
OddFactor is my spoiled grandson,sloths is my leetle bro
39TH STREET
rmtc<3
8=,,,,===D BlisterDick is the hawtness I desire :drool:
Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM augusttremulous is offline  
Reply With Quote
#60  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:02 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.