General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

crumbaker

Everyone around me becoming right wing conspiracy nuts

Well not everyone, but more and more friends are getting into this Alex Jones shit, or other right wing conspiracy nuts. Many being entirely separate groups of friends that don't talk to each other. Some that used to always vote democrat. Even my step dad has become a complete gun nut and thinks the government is going to round us up and take our guns.

Wtf is going on? A lot of these people seemed somewhat reasonable in the past but now have gone bat shit crazy. I try to reason with them by giving them facts, statistics, and trying to get them to read articles about debunking Alex Jones. I knew after listening to the guy for 5 minutes that he was full of shit, am I in the twilight zone? The shear number of people I know going along with this is staggering.

Anyone else see this happening around them? Is it because a black man is our president?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TUT RAGE!!!

This is how much i care.

Forever Domon

its because they all associate with you, you're the one central hub

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

It's fucking crazy in this day and age when so much information is literally right at your finger tips.

Trust, but verify.

crumbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
It's fucking crazy in this day and age when so much information is literally right at your finger tips.

Trust, but verify.

It is and the one point I make over and over is that after you read this crazy shit, at the very least google debunking whatever topic you just read and you'll get some facts about why what they just read is completely ridiculous, but it seems like none of them will do that.

I really was curious though is anyone else seeing the people around them going along with this shit or is it just an Ohio/my personal surroundings thing?

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
It is and the one point I make over and over is that after you read this crazy shit, at the very least google debunking whatever topic you just read and you'll get some facts about why what they just read is completely ridiculous, but it seems like none of them will do that.

I really was curious though is anyone else seeing the people around them going along with this shit or is it just an Ohio/my personal surroundings thing?

Ohio has always been a right wing state. It's just now that you're growing up, you're seeing more adults that you're around and you're seeing just how much it really is.

pyramid

Quote:

The problem with the Alex Jones crowd is that they will take something factual and spin it into a whole new realm of conspiracy. Some people have a hard time understanding where the facts end and the conspiratorial fantasy begins. Once people have had the facts loosely arranged into the narrative Jones is selling, it's hard to unconvince them.

It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

I wouldn't exactly call Alex Jones and the whole conspiracy lunacy "right wing" as most people think of it....they had their heyday during the Bush administration, and gave him and everyone in the Whitehouse super powers to control everything from jetliners, how fast buildings fall and even weather.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

joemama

Quote:

Trust, but verify.
That's part of the problem, too much information to sift through so many people just go with the craziest explanation for everything...more fun that way.

._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
I wouldn't exactly call Alex Jones and the whole conspiracy lunacy "right wing" as most people think of it....they had their heyday during the Bush administration, and gave him and everyone in the Whitehouse super powers to control everything from jetliners, how fast buildings fall and even weather.

Yeah, he makes his money selling this stuff to anyone who will listen. Under Bush it was mostly liberals going nuts with the 911 was an inside job stuff but before that, under clinton, he was all about selling the NWO conspiracy to conservatives. I think he's back to NWO under Obama again but I haven't paid much attention to him in a while. He is pretty A-political. He's just about selling his conspiracies and there's always people willing to listen.

9/11 was his big break. Before that he was way more of a fringe figure and only "coast-to-coast" type people even knew he existed.

joemama

Quote:
Yeah, he makes his money selling this stuff to anyone who will listen. Under Bush it was mostly liberals going nuts with the 911 was an inside job stuff but before that, under clinton, he was all about selling the NWO conspiracy to conservatives. I think he's back to NWO under Obama again but I haven't paid much attention to him in a while. He is pretty A-political. He's just about selling his conspiracies and there's always people willing to listen.

9/11 was his big break. Before that he was way more of a fringe figure and only "coast-to-coast" type people even knew he existed.
The height of his popularity came in the years directly following 9/11.....that event plus the internet becoming mainstream was the perfect storm. Now that everyone is growing tired of the 9/11 stuff he has to ramp things up to a new level of batshit..

._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Forever Domon

attention whores gonna attention whore

crumbaker

Yeah I guess it isn't fair to label him specifically right wing, but it seems like his followers tend to lean that way

joemama

Quote:
Yeah I guess it isn't fair to label him specifically right wing, but it seems like his followers tend to lean that way
It only seems that way since much of their paranoia is directed at Washington which is currently under a Democrat administration. It doesn't matter to them who gets the Presidency since they weren't elected but rather appointed by the Illuminati to further the cause of the NWO.

._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

crumbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
It only seems that way since much of their paranoia is directed at Washington which is currently under a Democrat administration. It doesn't matter to them who gets the Presidency since they weren't elected but rather appointed by the Illuminati to further the cause of the NWO.

think it's more than that, read the forums. All of them are gun nut, borderline tea party types. I remember it being mostly the same way even when bush was in office after 9/11.