General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

augusttremulous
The Cat's Pajamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolioq View Post
What this thread fails to mention is that astronomy and astrophysics is usually a lot of guesswork.

Guesswork based on facts, though. They're not like "hey, I woke up today, I had a dream last night, and I'm basing my guesses on that."

Educated guesses based on the best information you have at the time are a heck of a lot better than drug-induced visions based on your drug-addled brain.
39TH STREET
rmtc<3
8=,,,,===D BlisterDick is the hawtness I desire :drool:

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Surprise, someone thinks a scientific theory is outlandish.

Foolioq

Quote:
Originally Posted by augusttremulous View Post
Guesswork based on facts, though. They're not like "hey, I woke up today, I had a dream last night, and I'm basing my guesses on that."

Educated guesses based on the best information you have at the time are a heck of a lot better than drug-induced visions based on your drug-addled brain.

Its forced to assume a lot more about some things that are extremely hard to test. Things like Dark Matter, Black holes, etc... As we gain more information about how Physics works on earth (like soon we might be able to say the Higgs Boson exists), then we can make even better guesses about the rest of the universe.

Black holes have never been directly observed and by that I mean Hawking radiation has never been observed. We've seen awesome evidence they exists, but we really have no idea about them. We can't run any experiments. Its a lot of guesswork because there's so many varying opinions on what's right. They make observations but its actually extremely hard to be exact.

My drug addled brain? Do you mean my relatively drug free brain that has a bachelors in Physics... and has been lectured on General Relativity where we discussed the origins and the mathematics of black holes?

edit: I'm not a black hole/big bang/dark matter denier or claiming to be a genius that understands each individual model (I'm not even fucking close), but rather possess a sceptical and scientific mind. Dio is just a moron.

Last edited by Foolioq; 09-03-2012 at 08:04 PM..

Golf(e)

Quote:
Its forced to assume a lot more about some things that are extremely hard to test. Things like Dark Matter, Black holes, etc... As we gain more information about how Physics works on earth (like soon we might be able to say the Higgs Boson exists), then we can make even better guesses about the rest of the universe.

Black holes have never been directly observed and by that I mean Hawking radiation has never been observed. We've seen awesome evidence they exists, but we really have no idea about them. We can't run any experiments. Its a lot of guesswork because there's so many varying opinions on what's right. They make observations but its actually extremely hard to be exact.

My drug addled brain? Do you mean my relatively drug free brain that has a bachelors in Physics... and has been lectured on General Relativity where we discussed the origins and the mathematics of black holes?

edit: I'm not a black hole/big bang/dark matter denier or claiming to be a genius that understands each individual model (I'm not even fucking close), but rather possess a sceptical and scientific mind. Dio is just a moron.
This is the way I took you to mean "based on guesswork". Astronomy is very much so based on guesswork, considering we're stuck on this rock and all (to put the matter simply), but that doesnt necessarily discredit anything at all.

Also, i dont think august was necessarily referring to you specifically when she said drug addled brain. More like the OP or people in general who discredit science, which isnt what you were doing.
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop

Last edited by Golf(e); 09-03-2012 at 09:05 PM..

CRasch
A Righteous Infliction of Retribution

Science != guesswork

Golf(e)

Aside from astronomy, science does involve a lot of guesswork.. or.. how do we say... imagination!

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/v3pYRn5j7oI[/YOUTUBE]
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop

dio

Quote:
drug-induced visions based on your drug-addled brain.

Concerning this line, go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ObhiOEd68
and jump to 17:25

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post

he's a fucking idiot spouting nonsense.

dvargas24

is that supposed to be "litmus test"?

augusttremulous
The Cat's Pajamas

Quote:

no, dio is the druggie. wasn't insulting you on that one, though I can see how you might have taken it that way since I quoted you. responded to you, but at him.

edit: and the guesswork is based on evidence. Could be right, could be wrong. If it turned out to be wrong, that's totally ok, because we'd be one step closer to knowing what was right, but I'm saying guesswork, guessy though it may be, that is based at least on scientific thought and rationale and evidence and observation trumps dio tripping balls and talking to god
39TH STREET
rmtc<3
8=,,,,===D BlisterDick is the hawtness I desire :drool:

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post

pure nonsense. hallucinations are creations of your own mind on drugs.

when smart people take drugs and it helps them solve a problem they couldn't solve before, it is not because the drugs imparted them with knowledge. it is because the drugs created a relaxed or even novel state of mind, reduced inhibitions and also fucked with the normal operation of the brain so that in this uninhibited, relaxed novel state the person in question arranged knowledge they already contained into novel patterns they did not realize before.

There is science behind this. I believe there were a bunch of articles published recently about how even a small amount of beer "enhances creativity/problem solving" by lowering inhibition. I used to find this was true at work when I was banging my head against a wall trying to solve a problem, I frequently solved those problems by removing myself from the situation, going outside and having a smoke and a coffee. I'm pretty sure I solved most of the hardest problems I used to have by taking a step back and relaxing like that. It can seem like the solution almost pops into your mind from some outside source but it does not. the coffee and cigarettes did not magically impart me with knowledge I didn't have and neither do hallucinogens.

In simpler terms, you are not the same as carl sagan because you both smoked weed. McKenna is not the same as Tyson or Hubble or Einstein because he took some drugs and hallucinated.

that is full on R-tarded.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

also, terrence mckenna sounds like a cross between emo philips and brent spiner with a really stuffy nose.

Darth Febreze

For shit's sake. Let me try to simplify this. Dio. Assuming you are not just being a contrarian troll...

This is how the big bang works. Take an empty soda can and squash it. The squashed soda can weighs exactly the same as a regular soda can (please fucking tell me you understand this) - of course other than the tiny amount of air the regular soda can has inside. But of course in space there is no air so they would have the same mass.

Ok. Got it? Now imagine the universe starts getting squashed down (if this is too difficult, imagine the Earth). All the same matter is there, it is just compressed. Squash it down to the side of golf ball. Squash it down to the size of a pea. Keep squashing it down. Smaller and smaller. Eventually you get to infinitely small. But all the matter is still there! The idea that we had "nothing" at the moment of or before the big bang is NONSENSE. The only "nothing" we had was that we had no empty space. Every single bit of matter that we have today was there* and that eventually "exploded" (started to expand).

*we don't know/understand the state of the matter/energy, but it was still there. It was likely all in the form of energy, but E = mc^2
1995 Camaro Z28 6 speed. 383 baby blower cam, cold air induction, pacesetter longtube headers, over the axle true duals with x-pipe and borla xr1s, Dana S60 rear with truetrac and 4.10s, madz28.com tune, crane 1.6 roller rockers.

Foolioq

Quote:
no, dio is the druggie. wasn't insulting you on that one, though I can see how you might have taken it that way since I quoted you. responded to you, but at him.

edit: and the guesswork is based on evidence. Could be right, could be wrong. If it turned out to be wrong, that's totally ok, because we'd be one step closer to knowing what was right, but I'm saying guesswork, guessy though it may be, that is based at least on scientific thought and rationale and evidence and observation trumps dio tripping balls and talking to god

Those B.Sc.'s in Physics be mighty defensive. We cool.

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

with all the booze i've had over the past year i should be a genius.