General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.
 
asa's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
So the Chicago teachers are asking for an average salary of $90k. Here are some other fields that make that kind of money:
Computer Science (CS) $97,900
Nuclear Engineering $97,800
Biomedical Engineering (BME) $97,800
Economics $94,700
Mechanical Engineering (ME) $94,500
Statistics $93,800
Industrial Engineering (IE) $93,100
Civil Engineering (CE) $90,200
Mathematics $89,900
Environmental Engineering $88,600
Management Information Systems (MIS) $88,200

Now, are we really going to say that teaching is harder and/or requires more talent than nuclear engineering? These are fields that companies literally cannot find enough people to fill openings, and most people really just aren't capable of handling that kind of education. The same just isn't true of teaching, and it doesn't make sense to pay them on scale with those other jobs. It's not an easy job, but it's stuff most anyone can learn and be at least nominally effective if they care and have passion.

not sure about harder, don't know what Nukies do all day, but yeah Nukies generally need more inherent talent.

however
1) where are you getting $90k? everything i keep seeing in this thread is $76K

2) you posted a mid-career median, is your $90k mid-career as well?

3) what you posted is across the USA, not Chicago, how about you go find out what Nukies in Chicago get and restate your argument

4) WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING YOU POSTED HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE REASON WHY I POSTED WHAT YOU QUOTED?!?!


for those that care, a link to his "stats"
http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp
__________________
1967 Ford Mustang, Inline Six, will i ever get this T5 installed?
my build
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=786083

Asa of the Infidel Crew
Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 PM asa is offline  
Reply With Quote
#136  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

teh_rapist
 
teh_rapist's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Now, are we really going to say that teaching is harder and/or requires more talent than nuclear engineering?

Teaching well is WAY harder and requires WAY more talent than nuclear engineering.

That said, vast majority of teachers are not teaching well, and don't deserve that kind of money.
__________________
Spare the rape - spoil the child.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:35 PM teh_rapist is offline  
Reply With Quote
#137  

s0me0nesmind1
 
s0me0nesmind1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
not sure about harder, don't know what Nukies do all day, but yeah Nukies generally need more inherent talent.

however
1) where are you getting $90k? everything i keep seeing in this thread is $76K

2) you posted a mid-career median, is your $90k mid-career as well?

3) what you posted is across the USA, not Chicago, how about you go find out what Nukies in Chicago get and restate your argument

4) WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING YOU POSTED HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE REASON WHY I POSTED WHAT YOU QUOTED?!?!


for those that care, a link to his "stats"
http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp


They CURRENTLY make $76k you immaculate excuse for an inferior human. Like I fucking said, you really should get checked out for mild case of retardation. Our schools really do need help - you don't know how to add from percents apparently.
__________________
8e12bfe909ef9fcfaa2d400a638d4801 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
║▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
╚═╝
Old 09-13-2012, 01:36 PM s0me0nesmind1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#138  

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.
 
asa's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
They CURRENTLY make $76k you immaculate excuse for an inferior human. Like I fucking said, you really should get checked out for mild case of retardation. Our schools really do need help - you don't know how to add from percents apparently.

you're cute when you go all ad hominem

just so you know, "ad hominem" is when you attack the person instead of their argument

:themoreyouknow:
__________________
1967 Ford Mustang, Inline Six, will i ever get this T5 installed?
my build
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=786083

Asa of the Infidel Crew
Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM asa is offline  
Reply With Quote
#139  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
not sure about harder, don't know what Nukies do all day, but yeah Nukies generally need more inherent talent.

however
1) where are you getting $90k? everything i keep seeing in this thread is $76K
Their average right now is 76k, there had been an agreement for a 16% raise. That's 88k, average salary. Max value is something like 116k, so certainly the cap is lower on teaching than some of those engineering jobs but you also get pension, huge career stability, etc. Average is a meaningful comparison for this I think.

Quote:
3) what you posted is across the USA, not Chicago, how about you go find out what Nukies in Chicago get and restate your argument
Using Chicago as a proxy for nationwide teaching salary policies. Some counties around here in DC have teachers making an average of 80k, which is just slightly under the average for a PhD research scientist. That's crazy.
Quote:
4) WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING YOU POSTED HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE REASON WHY I POSTED WHAT YOU QUOTED?!?!
Salary is generally commenserate with the difficulty of a job and a scarcity of people able to fill it. Teaching is not supremely difficult or suffering from a scarcity, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for localities to be paying big money.

The national average for teacher salary is dramatically lower and is probably much more in line with scarcity and difficulty. I'd like to see that number bumped up a little, but the trend in some places to just continuously raise teacher salaries is nuts.

I know my job is harder than teaching and has a lot smaller available pool of qualified people, so it's kind of annoying that teachers in my county are getting paid about the same that I do out of my tax money.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#140  

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.
 
asa's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Salary is generally commenserate with the difficulty of a job and a scarcity of people ability to fill it. Teaching is not supremely difficult or suffering from a scarcity, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for localities to be paying big money.

if there's no scarcity of teachers, why have so many schools increased their classroom populations every couple years?
__________________
1967 Ford Mustang, Inline Six, will i ever get this T5 installed?
my build
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=786083

Asa of the Infidel Crew
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM asa is offline  
Reply With Quote
#141  

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_rapist View Post
Teaching well is WAY harder and requires WAY more talent than nuclear engineering.

That said, vast majority of teachers are not teaching well, and don't deserve that kind of money.

I agree. Absolutely anyone can be a teacher with very little training. But to be a good teacher is another thing entirely, and it can be incredibly difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
if there's no scarcity of teachers, why have so many schools increased their classroom populations every couple years?

There are teacher shortages in certain content areas--specifically mathematics and sciences. There are massive teacher surpluses in English and Social Studies. Further, there are teacher scarcities (and hence overcrowding) in urban areas. This is because teachers prefer urban localities as the money tends to go further (cheaper to live), classrooms are notably smaller in student size, or they think it's easier to teach there (it usually is).
Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 PM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#142  

RazorWind
 
RazorWind's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
if there's no scarcity of teachers, why have so many schools increased their classroom populations every couple years?

Because they can't afford enough teachers to have small classes.
__________________
90f54f9cfb4106d1ef0e6a82e53f14
Old 09-13-2012, 02:12 PM RazorWind is offline  
Reply With Quote
#143  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
I... didn't... say... they didn't? Are you handicapped or something

The point is that you are always looking for what is next in life. The whole "I will sit here in the same company in the chair and be happy with my 2% raises" is over in this world. You will not get anywhere, especially if the inflation on the dollar keeps going hand-in-hand with your raises

"Try working for a living" - yes you implied teachers don't work for a living. You're too retarded to remember your own


Also lol @ your typical conservative fantasy life where you make 250k. Such a baller. Just make sure to have your music low so your roommate doesn't come yell at you.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#144  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
/facepalm.jpg

If education takes more than having the teacher, book, pencil, and paper - you're a part of the problem. You're always on here bitching up a storm about how our government doesn't do enough - must go hand in hand with how far you got in life. Shut the fuck up and bag my groceries

Another meaningless post. While I don't bag groceries, unlike you I can actually respect a person who does.

You're a delusional teenager - and it's still no excuse to be this fucking stupid, snobby and out of touch with reality. I suspect you will eventually come to grips with your true future. Short of inhereting a family fortune your salary will be bound to your IQ - low.

You posted a graphic about IQ - where do YOU fit on it?
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 09-13-2012, 02:25 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#145  

topcat989
 
topcat989's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Yes, teachers, who are entrusted with educating and protecting children, are vastly overpaid. We should just get any old GED stumblebum willing to work for minimum wage to do that job. I'm sure that will not negatively impact our public education system in any way. In fact, we should be able to turn out more great thinkers like you.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:39 PM topcat989 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#146  

s0me0nesmind1
 
s0me0nesmind1's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_rapist View Post
Teaching well is WAY harder and requires WAY more talent than nuclear engineering.

That said, vast majority of teachers are not teaching well, and don't deserve that kind of money.

Do you teach or something? I wouldn't go as far as to say it's harder than an engineering job But yes, teaching is not an easy path - especially given how kids these days seem to be with shit parents - which only makes it harder f or the teacher.

Completely agree with the 2nd sentence.
__________________
8e12bfe909ef9fcfaa2d400a638d4801 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
║▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
╚═╝
Old 09-13-2012, 04:53 PM s0me0nesmind1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#147  

5ive
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post

that's my kind of class
__________________
Chicho is full of win.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective
Old 09-13-2012, 05:25 PM 5ive is offline  
Reply With Quote
#148  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Do you teach or something? I wouldn't go as far as to say it's harder than an engineering job But yes, teaching is not an easy path - especially given how kids these days seem to be with shit parents - which only makes it harder f or the teacher.

Completely agree with the 2nd sentence.

Is singing hard? Is plumbing hard? How about particle physics? You basically sit around and talk to colleagues

There are different aptitudes and not all people can do every job you nitwit....


Ex: My dad was a physicist but couldn't build a room addition like my step dad who is a general contractor.

Give it a few more years of actual life in society before you start with your moronic opinions please.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 09-13-2012, 05:26 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#149  

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Do you teach or something? I wouldn't go as far as to say it's harder than an engineering job But yes, teaching is not an easy path - especially given how kids these days seem to be with shit parents - which only makes it harder f or the teacher.

Completely agree with the 2nd sentence.

He's a nuclear engineer, actually
Old 09-13-2012, 05:27 PM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#150  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.