General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Rancidpunk666
 
Rancidpunk666's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Actually, you really are the only one to ever call my wife out.

Seeing as she's 5'4" with a BMI of ~21, you're not only dead wrong, you're kind of silly, calling names from up there with your BMI of 35.

Why does my weight concern you?
__________________
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Senator Date Rape
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings
Old 02-18-2013, 03:04 PM Rancidpunk666 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#61  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post
Why does my weight concern you?

Because people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, much like gordos shouldn't give dieting advice.

Why don't you care about anthropogenic global warming?
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#62  

Rancidpunk666
 
Rancidpunk666's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Because people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, much like gordos shouldn't give dieting advice.

Kk
__________________
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Senator Date Rape
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings
Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 PM Rancidpunk666 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#63  

SamFarber
 
SamFarber's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post
Why does my weight concern you?

Because he is losing the argument.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 PM SamFarber is offline  
Reply With Quote
#64  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
Because he is losing the argument.

Your argument is that there's a vast conspiracy, and that nothing good ever came from reading books. I gave up arguing about it because you're convinced, and nobody else gives a crap. It's a fundamentally uninteresting argument for two reasons 1) conspiracies don't exist in the presence of a meaningful number of people, and 2) you're a racist old bat like Topcat that doesn't deserve the effort.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#65  

SamFarber
 
SamFarber's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Your argument is that there's a vast conspiracy,

Was there a vast conspiracy to believe in eugenics? Phrenology? That the Earth was the center of the universe?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:12 PM SamFarber is offline  
Reply With Quote
#66  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
PhD just means swallowing dogma. Many of them are imbeciles.

Yeah, like Jehannum said, that's not how it works in the sciences. I spent five years in a lab (and more since then), not five years sucking faculty dicks. More to the point, none of my work is directly tied into climate change. My field would do just fine if AGW died tomorrow, I'd be happy applying the same stuff to medical sensors or oil pipelines. It just happens to be related enough to let me understand the material.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
I've already shown it is impossible for it to be "historical."
You're alleging that AGW is a conspiracy, invented to make money. The historical record shows that the theory developed in the late 1800s (well before any money could possibly have been made off it), and has steadily advanced since. At no point was there a significant shift that would indicate the involvement of exterior motivates, like a money-driven conspiracy. The only significant shift was the sudden rise of a denial movement, not coincidentally enabled by a huge influx of money from interests opposed to the potential consequences of climate legislation.

Of course you're a conspiracy theorist, so logic and plausibility really aren't meaningful, but there you go.

Quote:
It became political when some religious freaks started trying to control PEOPLE using the theory. Do you think anyone would care if these people left other people ALONE?

It would be like communism - there weren't anti-communists when people just theorized about it. It was a theory for a long time, too. Then you have the Bolsheviks killing people by the millions USING THE THEORY.
AGW doesn't come with policy recommendations. It's a statement of physical fact and mechanism. The potential application doesn't affect the validity of the science. Our opinions on eugenics don't change the validity of genetic theory. The policy recommendations from various groups don't change the validity of climate science, unless you can demonstrate where they've been corrupted (and I'm guessing you can't).

I'd love to have the policy discussion. The people from the OP don't want us to have that discussion, so they're creating an environment where people attack the facts (the science) and the experts (scientists) rather than holding an honest discussion about the real policy implications. I wish some of the enviro-nuts would shut up too, but they're a lot less damaging to the process than the "conservative" wing.

Quote:
Oh, what were the controls?

There is no "science" because there is no controlled experimentation going on. You can have a theory all you like - but when you call it "science" and act like it is proven you debase science itself.
Most science doesn't have a "control group." That's the juvenile model of science taught to grade schoolers, really based around biological/medical experiments. That's not to say that there isn't "controlled experiments" going on, just that we don't need another parallel planet to watch to evaluate our understanding.

Scientists have done all sorts of controlled experiments in labs to break down the enormously complex system of the Earth into smaller pieces that we can manage. I study how atmospheric molecules absorb light. I can replicate all sorts of different conditions, different gas mixes, etc. That's one form of "controlled experiment." There are many others, across dozens of fields. All of us, over a century or so, have built up all the pieces that allow us to have a good understanding of climate forcing factors (like CO2).




It's always fun when random clowns on the internet want to talk about how professional scientists don't understand science and are corrupting it etc etc. Probably more likely that the person making the allegation is really the one missing something. Or there's a CONSPIRACY ZOMG!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#67  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
Was there a vast conspiracy to believe in eugenics? Phrenology? That the Earth was the center of the universe?

None of those were scientific theories, so no. Eugenics was an attempt to apply genetics to social engineering, phrenology never followed scientific methodology, and geocentrism was believed before modern science was ever practiced at all.

This isn't some arbitrary classification either.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:09 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#68  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
who can argue with your long ramblings that include endorsing a scifi thriller novelist's work of fiction

you are possibly the dumbest person ever to have posted in this forum, and with sam and dio around that's a really fucking esteemed position to have

Do you happen to know what his proper title is, oh ye of much wisdom and jehannowledge?
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


я~~~ я~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex я~~~ я~~~
Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#69  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
Yeah, but you seek out other who believe the same things you do for your "panel." And Acadmedia creates little, if anything. They all believe this theory because they get funding for it - there is no money in denying it. But most importantly, they get prestige for supporting it. It means they "CARE." I can't believe any mature mind can't see through this charade.

Academia has become a caricature of itself now - with experiments putting shrimp on a treadmill and saying they have shown plants need light to grow.

Science doesn't produce anything.


Lulz.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#70  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Do you happen to know what his proper title is, oh ye of much wisdom and jehannowledge?

He appears to be an MD, which makes him about as qualified to write about climate science as I am to write about heart transplants.

Also, it's a fiction book with no review. Maybe it does have some interesting points, but he can write anything he wants without any standards of accuracy. You have no way of knowing what, if anything, in there is correct or not. Nothing wrong with that sort of book, but it's not really a useful source of information.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#71  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
Was there a vast conspiracy to believe in eugenics? Phrenology? That the Earth was the center of the universe?

That you would even put those in the same category as hard science and not philosophy or religious dogma speaks volumes.

I haven't put 5 years of my life into studying and publishing unverifiable . Gibonious deserves the same level of respect (even though he's gotten his PhD and I'm only going for a Masters).
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:59 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#72  

SamFarber
 
SamFarber's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
That you would even put those in the same category as hard science and not philosophy or religious dogma speaks volumes.

I haven't put 5 years of my life into studying and publishing unverifiable . Gibonious deserves the same level of respect (even though he's gotten his PhD and I'm only going for a Masters).

GW theory is a religion.

Does science need PSA's to convinced (brow-beat) people in to believing it?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 PM SamFarber is offline  
Reply With Quote
#73  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Do you happen to know what his proper title is, oh ye of much wisdom and jehannowledge?

I already know you're a fucking retard, no need to try this hard anymore....
Besides even if his field was Master of All Climate like you seem to fucking think it is, perhaps it'd do him a world of good to actually fucking work in the field

But I guess Tex also reads computer science from the 70's in todays context because they're current and relevant


__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#74  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
GW theory is a religion.

Does science need PSA's to convinced (brow-beat) people in to believing it?

I guess you could have read the original article, you disgusting racist

why the fuck are you even here
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#75  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:05 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.