General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Do any of you know any people that study climate science? Have any of you ever seen a lecture given by one of these people? Have any of you ever talked to them about their research in passing? Are any of you folks a practicing scientist who has put their work under the scrutiny of others?

Oh, wait, none of you haven't done any of those things?

Maybe you should all just SHUT THE FUCK UP

Reading all of your thoughts on climate change is like watching a drunk car mechanic try to give someone medical advice... none of you know what you are talking about

And that's why I don't go around giving people medical advice...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
Do any of you know any people that study climate science? Have any of you ever seen a lecture given by one of these people? Have any of you ever talked to them about their research in passing? Are any of you folks a practicing scientist who has put their work under the scrutiny of others?

Maybe you should all just SHUT THE FUCK UP

Reading all of your thoughts on climate change is like watching a drunk car mechanic try to give someone medical advice... none of you know what you are talking about

You should also stick to not giving environmental advice, either.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

̃~~~ ̃~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ̃~~~ ̃~~~

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Dude, you definitely have no clue. Gibbit, I actually believe he knows the basic photosynthesis cycle; you, on the other hand, just demonstrated that you have no idea what it is and how it works. And why CO2 is a critical component in the process.

As I suggested to gibberer: READ THE NOVEL. Especially the annotations. And THINK, beyond the walls of your tiny little bubble. Then come back and discuss it.

actually the co2 part is a part that is gone over at fucking elementary school,

but don't let that bother you. At what point it turns to protecting flora by putting out co2 as usual, requires the severe retardation you have. As said before, you are the dumbest fucking moron to post here in a long ass time.

lol @ this fat moron still thinking a fiction novel is substantial information regarding this

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Actually, he did: he appealed to his people with nationalism, racism, and emotional keys to get them to react as a mob in the direction he wanted them to go. Then they burned a bunch of Jews in ovens (OMFG THINK OF THE CARBON EMISSIONS!!), and tried to take over the world.

kind of sounds pretty similar to what you do, which is subscribing to mostly a conservative and nationalist agenda

cookie cut designed for sub100 IQ morons like yourself

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
"Invented" is irrelevant - that is what it is being USED for now.
This is just so fucking stupid. Application doesn't change facts. AGW is either true, or not. How politicians or advocacy groups choose to apply it does not change physical reality. But you can't argue about the physics, because you don't understand it, so you just garble about conspiracy and corruption.
Quote:
From the same Academia that can't tell us if coffee is good for you or bad for you! LOL! It is FAR from any statement of fact. You think you can just state that and it becomes true. You are the juvenile.
Clearly all fields of science are entirely equivalent on all fronts.

Quote:
It is the scientific method. You have abandoned that for political science method bases on emotionalism and "what ifs." Stop calling it science if you don't follow it the method.

Yes, you do if you want to claim it is scientific. Just stop lying about that - it is supposition.

Doesn't work that way - typical juvenile reductionism. This idiocy is the reason science has become a joke - bad methodology. Garbage in, garbage out. But so long as they keep getting their palms crossed with silver they don't really care.
Are we back to the old yarn that scientists are bad at science? According to people who have never practiced science or done any research in their lives?

Let's take a non-climate topic: looking for the Higgs Boson. What's the "control group" in particle physics? You smash some atoms together, and either you detect subatomic particles or not. You have to carefully control and measure the conditions and rigorously analyze the data, but there's nothing that would look like a "control group."

It's just nonsensical. You've basically just said that 95% of the science done since the creation of the modern scientific method was done incorrectly.

Last edited by Gibonius; 02-19-2013 at 06:39 AM..

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post

Maybe you should all just [size=]SHUT THE FUCK UP[/SIZE]

Can I still talk?

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
Does science need PSA's to convinced (brow-beat) people in to believing it?

When there's an organized campaign to deny the science, apparently you do need to work at convincing the public.

Same thing happened with CFCs and that's held up.

Gibonius

Quote:
yes, he's an MD. Or was, since he's dead.

But that means he had a grounding in science--biology, physics, chemistry. And he was SMART. He had a grasp of things few people ever can hope to achieve.
This is sort of a strange appeal to authority, especially when you're trying to argue that tens of thousands of legit climate scientists with much more training than Mr Crichton don't know their own material.

I mean, I understand that most people are not going to independently master the issues of a complex scientific issue like AGW and are more likely to try to find someone else trustworthy to give them the executive summary. But why pick a fiction writer who happened to do enough research to tie together a (fiction) book as your authority? Because he agrees with you? Because you read the book, found it convincing enough to settle the issue, and stopped there? I could find dozens of books that agree with my point, but I really don't need to do that since I can actually get into the actual science and see what pans out and what doesn't.

Quote:
Read the book. And pay attention to the annotations (yes, annotations in a fiction work, and to actual real-life, available-for-reading research).

Then, if you can get last your arrogance, come back and talk about it.
If you've got some point from the novel you'd like to mention, by all means bring it up. I don't accept homework assignments from the Internet without something more compelling
than "He'll show that I'm right." I've read a LOT of the denial arguments, and unless Crichton's book brings something fresh to the table, I've got better stuff to read.

Or, hell, I can just use the magic of the Internets to pull up his specific arguments and sources. And...someone did it for me! Neat.

Gibonius

Good analogy from a debate about climate change involving Crichton. Will just leave it here:
Quote:
This, this field is like all fields of science, you know, medical science is incomplete and has uncertainties too. But it‘s good enough to be useful. You don‘t dismiss your doctor‘s advice, because she hasn‘t solved all the diseases. And I think the same is true of climate science today.

Straw Man
RuHo

I guess that settles it for Tex.

I mean, THE CRICHTON has also now spoken. This, combined with the fact flora needs co2(*) is kind of contradictive, but it's close enough

(*)I wasn't joking when I said that is learned in elementary school

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
kind of sounds pretty similar to what you do, which is subscribing to mostly a conservative and nationalist agenda

cookie cut designed for sub100 IQ morons like yourself

Idiocy 101: RuWhore shows how syphillis can damage a brain beyond all recognition

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post

Yes, agreed. It's the cause that's at question.

From about the 1300s thru the 1800s, there are a Little Ice Age, where The melting of the polar caps caused the Gulf Stream (and the corresponding southern and other northern ones) to shut down due to the influx of cold melting glaciers and ice pack, leading to a planet-wide cold snap that caused a great deal of famine and death. The causes of the melting are variable, with a combo of sunspot activity and orbital perturbations being the favored ones, along with a spike in volcanic activity, which could be linked to the orbital wobble.

During that period, there were quite a few humans on the planet, all burning wood and coal to try to keep warm. There are some theories that say that's the cause of the LIA, but I'm not so sure, because it takes a LONG time to cool the surface down enough to cause such a huge change as that. But we really don't have alot of solid data there, so it's all supposition.

Sound familiar?? It should.

--John Hobbs

apaininthebutt
Master of my heart <3 DopeKitchen

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaininthebutt View Post

From your own article

"“The southward movements of rain bands associated with a warmer climate in the high-latitude southern hemisphere made the margins of Antarctica less like a polar desert, and more like present-day Iceland,” a co-author of the NASA study reports."