General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MeanBean View Post
I feel sorry for anyone graduating with a degree today. You'll have better luck learning a trade than paying off your student loan debt for the next thirty years in this economy.

Yes.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

gwiber

Having attended BOTH Vocational School, and College.

I personally think they should roll high school back by one year to a three year course length. INSIST on Vocational training for a associates degree, BEFORE they let you in College, and roll back Bachelor's degrees to three years too.

High School is a joke now, watching kids in college now, they seem to be learning the same damn things I was taught in High School in the late 80's, college feels mainly like another 4 years of High School.

Kids getting an associates in a proper Vocational setting get the knowledge they NEED to actually do entry level jobs with skill, and without the crap the job does not need.

They could either stop then, or move on to college.

And you wouldn't have the problem I had when I did finally enter the job market after college. Having idiot engineers and architects who couldn't find the mouse in AutoCAD with both hands, which they instead were wiping there ass, and the drool off their chin with.

If you are going to work within a profession, you ought to be able to use the basic tools of that profession, and not just point and pray to someone else to do the job for you.

Last edited by gwiber; 04-04-2013 at 10:57 PM..

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiber View Post

I personally think they should roll high school back by one year to a three year course length. INSIST on Vocational training for a associates degree, BEFORE they let you in College, and roll back Bachelor's degrees to three years too.

High School is a joke now, watching kids in college now, they seem to be learning the same damn things I was taught in High School in the late 80's, college feels mainly like another 4 years of High School.

Kids getting an associates in a proper Vocational setting get the knowledge they NEED to actually do entry level jobs with skill, and without the crap the job does not need.

And you wouldn't have the problem I had when I did finally enter the job market after college. Having idiot engineers and architects who couldn't find the mouse in AutoCAD with both hands, which they instead were wiping there ass, and the drool off their chin with.

If you are going to work within a profession, you ought to be able to use the basic tools of that profession, and not just point and pray to someone else to do the job for you.

So, why not make high school what it once was?

Consider the amount of money involved in the process the way it is now. It is staggering.

gwiber

Honestly.. I'd like that too. But I really REALLY do believe a vocational education related to what you wanna do with your college degree should be mandatory.

Like I said. its staggering how often you run into engineers, architects and construction people who can't even use Basic AutoCAD commands, can't red line a sheet properly, or explain shit to a drafter.

An automotive engineer out to have some kind of skill with actually fixing a car before he runs off designing stuff for one.

I keep mentioning AutoCAD, and stuff because its the main thing I am familiar with.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiber View Post

TSRH. Today, you can't get a good job without a masters; and entry-level clerical jobs (or ANY clerical jobs, for that matter) require bachelor degrees. s

Too many people coming out of hight school knowing how to take multiple choice tests without actual learning; too many people coming out who can't use their hands for more than jerking off or rape.

Not enought actual EDUCATION, especially in trades.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Ž~~~ Ž~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex Ž~~~ Ž~~~

edplayer
no

harrumph! harrumph! harrumph!

we must do something!

Last edited by edplayer; 04-05-2013 at 01:47 AM..

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MeanBean View Post
I feel sorry for anyone graduating with a degree today. You'll have better luck learning a trade than paying off your student loan debt for the next thirty years in this economy.

I can do mine in ten, maybe twelve

TUT RAGE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
OCS? That is one thing where they could drop the college requirement altogether.

lol that would result in 1000000 applicants to OCS.

Foolioq

The problem when people go to college is they think it makes them smart.

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFarber View Post
Playing devil's advocate: what job do you learn Shakespeare in? College isn't strictly vocational school...

agreed, but this goes right back to the point that college isn't for everybody (and neither is a thorough expertise in Shakespeare).

If you want everyone to go to college then you have to lower the standard for participation in what used to be more exclusive institutions. These days there are schools that compete with eachother to see how low they can go with their admission standards and still remain accredited, and then the standards for accreditation get dropped because we want to "make education more accessible". Is it any wonder that college administrators and sitting in their offices and scratching their heads wondering why 50% of incoming freshmen have to take sub-100 level classes that they should have taken in high school?

TUT RAGE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolioq View Post
The problem when people go to college is they think it makes them smart.

My drill sergeants in basic made fun of E-4s because they had fifty thousand dollar pieces of paper that said they were smart.

edplayer
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUT RAGE!!! View Post
My drill sergeants in basic made fun of E-4s because they had fifty thousand dollar pieces of paper that said they were smart.

maybe that is not what is written on them

augusttremulous
The Cat's Pajamas

I think my high school handled this really well- we had to take a "College and Careers" class Junior and Senior year. In addition to college reps, they would have people in various trades come in to discuss their jobs as well.

On top of that, in your Junior and Senior year, you could opt to go to the local county vocational school. They'd work with you to arrange your schedule so you would have your required high school classes all during one half of the day, and then they'd bus you to the vo-tech school for the other half.

It presented many different options for what to do when you leave high school, and they made sure to present both paths in equal lights, not like COLLEGE IS BEST BUT IF UR DUMB U CAN DO DIS LOL, it was very much a "let's find out where your strengths and passions lie, and try to figure out where you'd fit best."

It's not a perfect fix or anything, but I think it was pretty decent.
39TH STREET
rmtc<3
8=,,,,===D BlisterDick is the hawtness I desire :drool:

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Part of the problem with college is not only does it seem that most people who get a degree these days believe it makes them intelligent and valuable, apparently too many of them feel they are entitled to a great job simply because they survived finals, 94 games of beer pong and the clap from that Sucka Dicka Dai sorority pledge.

I know a lot of people that are unemployed, underemployed or just miserable doing what they do that have degrees that have turned out to be mostly wastes of time and money, and just as many or more people that just worked hard and found something they wanted to do, do it well and are quite successful.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
When you give every single citizen a college degree, suddenly you have glorified idiots with 4 year degrees and massive student loans that can't find a job to support their debt, so they wind up pumping gas for minimum wage. In order for this to even be remotely possible requires a massive lowering of academic standards, to the point that a 4-year degree becomes the new diploma and the diploma becomes (well, already is) worthless.

Thoughts?

It's the same thing as just printing money. For the same reason you cannot just print out 10 million dollar bills and send one to every household in the country with the expectations that it will make everyone rich. It just doesn't work that way. Degrees should be HARD to get if they are to be expected to be valuable.

Everyone shouldn't have one.