Jehannum
[M]afia

Sep 20, 2009 #61

No, Z1 2.5".
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Dislike

Jehannum
[M]afia

Sep 28, 2009 #62

So unfortunately, the 300ZX is still not back terrorizing the roads. After two days hard at it, the motor is almost all the way back together, so I'm pretty happy about the progress.

EGR plug for the plenum. I've been running with a non-functional EGR for 3 years now (the valve seized, a pretty common thing), so this is just a formalization of the arrangement (still passes emissions with flying colors).

Beauty shot - the cam covers are all on, the upper and lower timing covers are on, it's almost all done.

Oil pan and turbo drains are on, too

Plenum, throttlebodies, PCV, water line bypass, idle air lines, balance tube, spark plugs, and coils are all on. All that's left is actually mounting the accessories, like the air conditioner compressor, the power steering pump mount, and the alternator. Helper is in the lower right.

After taking the condenser out of the front, it was obvious that I hadn't cleaned well enough (radiators are wonderful things to catch crap in...), so we took out all of the intercooler piping and pressure washed again, more thoroughly.

The smaller of the two lines running to the evaporator (the heat exchanger for the AC that lives in the dash) needed replacing, after I mangled it a few years ago:

For some reason, Nissan made it a single line, that you have to basically take the entire passenger side of the engine bay apart to get to. It was just lovely, but now it's replaced, as are all of the O-rings in the system, and the dessicator, so I should be able to run the newer R-134A without thrashing the system:

...and because Lurker wants to tell me all about what I did wrong by following the directions, this is a closeup of the oil drain from the turbo. The feed is in the picture, but it's obscured, owing to the fact that there's a fucking lot of shit in there to get in the way. At any rate, the feed is the braided steel line that's running across the bottom of the block - it works its way up to the top of the CHRA, where there's an integrated restrictor.

Dislike

Jehannum
[M]afia

Sep 28, 2009 #63

Oh, and in case anyone has any doubts at all: buy the pre-formed silicone hoses. The fitment on the Z has been superb, the cost has been on par with OEM hoses, and I'll never have to replace these ones.

Dislike

Typhoon43
Pure [M]ayhem
Typhoon43
Pure [M]ayhem

Sep 28, 2009 #64

Looking good man.When do think she'll be back terrorizing the streets?>
I'm the King of Wishful Thinking.....
Dislike

Jehannum
[M]afia

Sep 28, 2009 #65

Hopefully next week.

Dislike

AtomicFire
[M]onkey

Sep 28, 2009 #66

:drool: one of the dream cars I wish to own one day, videos and :pics: when you get it back together!
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi | project slut
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD | daily slut
Dislike

Grazehell
[M]afia

Sep 28, 2009 #67

AtomicFire wrote::drool: one of the dream cars I wish to own one day, videos and :pics: when you get it back together!
Yep one of the many Nissans/Datsuns I must own no matter how many year down the road that may be.
Dislike

Jehannum
[M]afia

Oct 04, 2009 #68

Fat bastard coming off the engine stand:

New organic/kevlar clutch installed:

Lubing up the engine bay so that fat bastard will fit:

Engine is in!

Today: install transmission, driveshaft, heat shields, exhaust, and try to button it up under the hood (belts, intake hoses, condenser, radiator, wiring, prime and start).

Dislike

DrifterX27
[M]osquito
DrifterX27
[M]osquito

Oct 04, 2009 #69

Good stuff dude, can't wait to see that thing in the streets again.
1995 Performance Motorsports Built SC300 930hp Supra 6 speed
Dislike

Lurker
Pure [M]ayhem
Lurker
Pure [M]ayhem

Oct 04, 2009 #70

Jehannum wrote:
...and because Lurker wants to tell me all about what I did wrong by following the directions, this is a closeup of the oil drain from the turbo. The feed is in the picture, but it's obscured, owing to the fact that there's a fucking lot of shit in there to get in the way. At any rate, the feed is the braided steel line that's running across the bottom of the block - it works its way up to the top of the CHRA, where there's an integrated restrictor.
I just wanted to see how the factory does it, thats all. I had to re-invent the wheel to get oil and drain on my car so I was curious how the engineers did it.

Where does the feed come from?

----

I thought kevlar clutches weren't as good as organic. I read somewhere they tend to over heat and slip?
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else.
Dislike