OneWhoKnows
Pure [M]ayhem
OneWhoKnows
Pure [M]ayhem

Apr 12, 2005 #41

TheFleshRocket wrote:Suggesting that the engine size of a bike that a new rider throws his leg over has a direct relation to his likelihood of dying on it is unrealistic.
It has a direct relation to rider-only accidents and deaths which has increased by ove 200% or some crazy number in the past 4 years.
Intarweb married to [H]ustler 12/08/03
OWK of Team OWK
Gen[M]ay Motorcyclist 2004 YZF-R1 / 2006 YZF-R6
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"
Dislike

OneWhoKnows
Pure [M]ayhem
OneWhoKnows
Pure [M]ayhem

Apr 12, 2005 #42

TheFleshRocket wrote:The only difference between a squid on a 600 and a squid on a 1000 is that the squid on the 1000 is just going to be going a bit faster when he wrecks. While it might be a bit easier to reach excessive speeds on a 10-second bike, it's not that much harder to do so on an 11-second bike. And actually most 600s are dipping into the high 10s now, anyway.
Which is why they restrict them to 125/250cc bikes for the first years. Who said 600s? :p
Intarweb married to [H]ustler 12/08/03
OWK of Team OWK
Gen[M]ay Motorcyclist 2004 YZF-R1 / 2006 YZF-R6
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"
Dislike

onewheeldoin200
[M]afia

Apr 12, 2005 #43

Triden wrote:Excellent faq! :)

Too bad it doesnt apply to my dirtbike :p

How bad is incurance compared to a car? Approximate percentages maybe..
It varies wildly, but for full comprehensive on a sport bike you're looking at roughly 50% more than your car (say if you have a $25k car).

Again, it varies hugely. It's really hard to pin down numbers unless you get into specifics, but as a general rule: as rider age goes down and cc's go up, price increases exponentially.

edit: but liability only is cheap. The reason motorcycle insurance is expensive is because ass:tard:s keep crashing and claiming insurance/kill themselves.
TheFleshRocket wrote:Suggesting that the engine size of a bike that a new rider throws his leg over has a direct relation to his likelihood of dying on it is unrealistic.

Do Canada and the UK have better rider education? Are their drivers better educated, as inattentive or careless cagers are at fault in a significant amount of rider accidents? Are the roads of better quality there?

My point is that there are plenty of factors that could be responsible for the US having a higher rider casualty rate--it's certainly a lot more complex than how big of a bike newbie riders are allowed on.
Dude are you kidding me? Some kid on a 1000cc Gixxer will have an enourmously higher chance of crashing than that same kid on an ex250. By the same token, a baby boomer who decides it's time to get into motorcycles and buys a Fat Boy right off the bat has a way higher chance of crashing than if he were to go with that Rebel 250. In fact, middle aged men are the largest death statistic at this point. "I've been driving for 20 years, I don't need to start on a girly bike".

Well, I don't know if Canada has any better rider (and driver) education, but the UK DEFINITELY does. Just pick up a copy of T.W.O.. They view motorcycling completely differently over there.
Our roads in Canada are way worse though, especially in the praries (lol...we can't even keep them maintained, let alone add safety features like ShellGrip).
And helmet laws in the US (or lack thereof) do account for a good number of those deaths. If Canada let people ride around without a lid our death stat would likely be right up around that of the US.

I agree that there are many factors in death statistics, but bike size *IS* a huge one. I mean...that's the whole point of this thread: choosing appropriate beginner bikes. Bikes that won't kill their rider if the rider is hamfisted on the throttle or lacks experience to judge corners.
Member of the Gen[M]ay [M]otorcycle Club

Passion > Precision
Dislike

TheFleshRocket
Pure [M]ayhem

Apr 13, 2005 #44

You can misjudge a corner regardless of the size of bike you're on. You can come into a 30mph corner at 60+mph on anything from an R1 to a Rebel 250. As far as being hamfisted on the throttle, yeah, obviously a lower-torque bike will present less of a hazard. However, I never really had any problem with unwanted throttle inputs even when I was a n00b, so maybe that's why I have a hard time really putting any credence in that.

Like I've said before, I think that a restrained, intelligent rider can start out on just about anything on two wheels and be just fine, but certainly having a tamer bike is a better idea for the majority of new riders.

I do agree that helmets probably have a significant effect on the percentage of rider crashes that result in fatalities. Of course, I still don't wear my lid all the time, but c'est la vie.
--'08 1125R, '06 Daytona 675, '91 CBR600F2
--'04 Mustang Cobra, ~460rwhp
Dislike

electric!sheep
Pure [M]ayhem

Apr 13, 2005 #45

onewheeldoin200 wrote:Those bikes are :cool:

They have a really high seat though do they not?
They are pretty tall, you need to be around 6' to touch the ground solidly with both feet.
Dislike

Bolix
Pure [M]ayhem
Bolix
Pure [M]ayhem

Apr 13, 2005 #46

Badass guide thanks alot! I hope to take the MSF course this summer, or later this year once I get to college. I am really looking forward to picking up a Ninja 250
Dislike

SebTheDJ
Pure [M]ayhem
SebTheDJ
Pure [M]ayhem

Apr 13, 2005 #47

Kawasaki Ninja ZX6E is a good potental for a begginers bike. ITs a 600CC sport tourer.
Dislike

SebTheDJ
Pure [M]ayhem
SebTheDJ
Pure [M]ayhem

Apr 13, 2005 #48

I wave to everybody, any biker out there.

Most of the times, its the harley people that dont wave back.
Dislike

TheJesus
Pure [M]ayhem
TheJesus
Pure [M]ayhem

Apr 13, 2005 #49

God damn, I want to get one, but my parents would fucking flip.

I have a question though, I'm a big motherfucker, and whenever I have tried just sizing myself on smaller bikes, I have found myself hunching over uncomfortably. I'm 6'1" and 245ish pounds, so I am wondering what kind of beginning beginning beginning bike would be good for me.
Dislike

onewheeldoin200
[M]afia

Apr 13, 2005 #50

TheJesus wrote:God damn, I want to get one, but my parents would fucking flip.

I have a question though, I'm a big motherfucker, and whenever I have tried just sizing myself on smaller bikes, I have found myself hunching over uncomfortably. I'm 6'1" and 245ish pounds, so I am wondering what kind of beginning beginning beginning bike would be good for me.
ph00ny wrote:what about people that are way too tall/big to be riding in small bikes?
onewheeldoin200 wrote:If size is an issue you'll probably need a sub-1000cc cruiser of some sort. My dad has a Suzuki Volusia 800, for instance, and it's very friendly and manageable. It might be a little heavy, but if you're too big for the bikes above then a little weight shouldn't be an issue. The advantage of cruisers is the HUGE array of accessories for them; you can stretch out with highway bars, add floorboards etc etc.

Other good options in this category are older Yamaha Virago's and Honda Magna's.
:)
Member of the Gen[M]ay [M]otorcycle Club

Passion > Precision
Dislike