lopoetve
Pure [M]ayhem
lopoetve
Pure [M]ayhem

Aug 29, 2008 #5401

sweet, thanks!
"You always gotta question the culinary excellence of food items which propel themselves out of cans"-LilMsCanBeRite
[M]otorcycle krew - 2011 Triumph Street Triple R. (Bwah?!?)
2013 ZL1 Camaro
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.
Dislike

vile1
[M]onkey
vile1
[M]onkey

Aug 29, 2008 #5402

lopoetve wrote:sweet jeebus. I found my new bike. Triumph Scrambler. Get some bags, and a windshield, and it'll be good for on/off road and touring. Far better than the sporty at the latter of those too!

http://triumphmotorcycles.com/images/sc ... 1_2008.jpg
Dude, no offense, but you're such a poser.

Not having any brand loyalty is one thing, but riding a "flavor of the week" bike is just borderlining on "miata-gay."

Edit: Although that bike looks fucking sweet. All it needs are some smooth-bores and some filter pods and Irock the fuck out of it?
Dislike

StarDeath13
[M]onkey

Aug 29, 2008 #5403

vile1 wrote:Dude, no offense, but you're such a poser.

Not having any brand loyalty is one thing, but riding a "flavor of the week" bike is just borderlining on "miata-gay."

Edit: Although that bike looks fucking sweet. All it needs are some smooth-bores and some filter pods and Irock the fuck out of it?
next he will post about his new ducati just because of its name.
j/k i could care less what people like or buy for what ever reason,but that triumph is a timeless classic.it could only be outshined by a norton commando.
but i will add that we all know a "do everything" bike like the bonne hes wanting is good at alot of things but great at none.my vfr is the same way,and some days i hate it for what it is and what it isnt.but a bike like that can fill so many roles you will remain satisfied a long time with it and only replace it with a specific duty bike as you may feel there is nothing else that can do all those things as well as what you already have.
i know id have to buy 4 bikes to do everything my vfr does for me,but they would do it better but at a high expense of money.
do all bikes are great as long as you can compromise.
i should stop eating pills im rattling now,damn headaches.
Dislike

claffix
[M]afia

Aug 30, 2008 #5404

not to mention he was bitching about the hardships and more importantly costs of putting a windshield and bags on his sportster, but doesn't seem to have a problem paying for those items when tacked onto the cost of a whole new bike. :lol:
I've spent most of my money on booze and fast toys...the rest was just wasted.

I like my girls like I like my bikes: fast, naked, and barely legal.

Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and reckless steals the show.
Dislike

Aug 30, 2008 #5405

guy on craigslist was selling slightly used dunlop d606s (and a bunch of other offroad only tires) for super cheap.... 10 or 20 bucks a piece depending on condition.They were takeoffs from mexican bike tours apparently. i couldnt resist but he was 30 miles away, i was already there, didnt want to go and get the car so....

pic the GF took when i got home. at least a few people took pictures on the highway so maybe ill be internet famous.
I'm a guy.
'06 DRZ400 Supermoto
'94 KLR6ugly
Dislike

lopoetve
Pure [M]ayhem
lopoetve
Pure [M]ayhem

Aug 30, 2008 #5406

I just like too many different things, honestly... :( I've been trying to find a good on/off road + distance bike to go along with the Sportster. Was pretty set on the Buell, but I keep reading and finding out that they have some notable maintenance issues, especially since the T-storm twin isn't really related to the harley motors anymore. Parts are hard to get, dealers are hard to find, etc. The Twin in the Bonnie/etc keeps the same feel, has its own unique style, and is actually RELIABLE. The new BMWs seem to also have a few issues, and the markup on them right now is insane.
StarDeath13 wrote:next he will post about his new ducati just because of its name.
j/k i could care less what people like or buy for what ever reason,but that triumph is a timeless classic.it could only be outshined by a norton commando.
but i will add that we all know a "do everything" bike like the bonne hes wanting is good at alot of things but great at none.my vfr is the same way,and some days i hate it for what it is and what it isnt.but a bike like that can fill so many roles you will remain satisfied a long time with it and only replace it with a specific duty bike as you may feel there is nothing else that can do all those things as well as what you already have.
i know id have to buy 4 bikes to do everything my vfr does for me,but they would do it better but at a high expense of money.
do all bikes are great as long as you can compromise.
i should stop eating pills im rattling now,damn headaches.
:lol: I sat on one - I don't fit on the Duc ;) Or the Aprilia, which is why I decided against the Shiver.

I bought the harley for an all around bike - it does everything but distance and off road well (and only pretty good at the mountains, but that's fine). Converting it for distance robs it of everything I enjoy for around town, so that's not an option (and costs almost $3500 - I finally added it all up). I'd rather add a second bike that fills those last two niches than try to make the sportster fit and compromise the things I love about it, and much rather find a second than sell it to find something that sorta fits all. That Triumph does all of that, and is affordable too :)
"You always gotta question the culinary excellence of food items which propel themselves out of cans"-LilMsCanBeRite
2013 ZL1 Camaro
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.
Dislike

lopoetve
Pure [M]ayhem
lopoetve
Pure [M]ayhem

Aug 30, 2008 #5407

claffix wrote:not to mention he was bitching about the hardships and more importantly costs of putting a windshield and bags on his sportster, but doesn't seem to have a problem paying for those items when tacked onto the cost of a whole new bike. :lol:
$3500 to convert the sportster - in doing so, I lose the looks, I lose the mid controls, I lose the cornering clearance, and I lose the control of the bars/seat I have now.

$3500 is a lot of money to make a bike into something I don't want it to be. I like the sportster for what it does.

I don't think you realize what all I'd have to do to make the sporty ready for travel:
Seat
Bars
Saddle bags
tour bag
sissy bar
forward controls
forward control extensions
highway bars + pegs
Windshield
Mounting bracket for ^^
Bag mounting bracket
Turn signal relocation
Progressive HD 412 suspension

That's close to 3k before installation, and is 12+ hours to install as is. That's also assuming the cheap bags. It also cuts my cornering clearance by about 25%, adds a ton of weight, and is not easily removable for around town or when I'm not taking a trip. If I'd wanted a touring bike, I'd have bought a touring bike.

edit: To get the Triumph ready for travel, I'd need to add:
Bags
Mounting bracket
Windshield (comes with the bracket).
seat

About $1200 total for the ones I'm looking at, and the bike doesn't require significant geometry changes to do such. And, it'll go off road. Bags are a lot nicer too.
2013 ZL1 Camaro
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.
Dislike

claffix
[M]afia

Aug 30, 2008 #5408

Forward controls and new bars just to make the bike ridable on the highway? waffles either you're a big pussy or hardly ablesons are just as shitty as a lot of guys make them out to be, and I know it's not the second one.

You're gonna tell me I haven't sat on a sportster, and you'd be right. But what I have done is an over 2000 mile trip on a naked sportbike, with two guys on full on supersports beside me the whole way. The GSXR makes a stock sportster look like a fuckin lay z boy in comparison. We managed just fine. I can understand where you are coming from with wanting an off road capable bike, but to say you have to throw 3500 dollars at a sportster just to make any trip over 100 mile bearable is crazy.
I've spent most of my money on booze and fast toys...the rest was just wasted.

I like my girls like I like my bikes: fast, naked, and barely legal.

Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and reckless steals the show.
Dislike

lopoetve
Pure [M]ayhem
lopoetve
Pure [M]ayhem

Aug 30, 2008 #5409

claffix wrote:Forward controls and new bars just to make the bike ridable on the highway? waffles either you're a big pussy or hardly ablesons are just as shitty as a lot of guys make them out to be, and I know it's not the second one.

You're gonna tell me I haven't sat on a sportster, and you'd be right. But what I have done is an over 2000 mile trip on a naked sportbike, with two guys on full on supersports beside me the whole way. The GSXR makes a stock sportster look like a fuckin lay z boy in comparison. We managed just fine. I can understand where you are coming from with wanting an off road capable bike, but to say you have to throw 3500 dollars at a sportster just to make any trip over 100 mile bearable is crazy.
Pay attention. TO MAKE A 1200 (aka sportster 1200)R bearable takes all that. You're right about the STOCK sportster, but the R is NOT like the other bikes in that category. Read on -

They do NOT make a seat for the 1200R that does not require forward controls. The R was a very limited run of bikes, very unpopular (it's not the normal harley style or geometry), and does not fit the normal sportster design or layout. If I want a more comfortable seat, and I can only ride the stock one for about a max of 150 miles before I want to cry (it's that uncomfortable - it's just leather over metal, no padding at all), I have to add forward controls and drop the rear slightly. This means new bars - The stock pull back won't reach.

All the aftermarket seats are designed for the L/C models - This means tehy expect a bike that is slightly tipped backwards, and forward controls to brace against. They're flat at that geometry. On the perfectly upright 1200R, this means they tip you forward and move you ONTO the tank. That's right, you're sitting on the TANK. I've tried EVERY aftermarket seat for sportster models - I'm sitting on the tank with all of them, and an emergency stop is going to launch my ass off the front. In addition, the R comes with the peanut tank, so you have absolutely nothing to brace against. Imagine your feet being in a sports bike position (the R is pretty tucked under you), but then with no tank bulge or the like to stop you from sliding forward.

I would GLADLY make a 1000+ mile trip on a sports bike. I did 400+ mile days on my Ninja 650. I did 300+ on the CBR and could have done twice as much. ANY sportsbike is more comfortable than the 1200R. It's the design of the bike - it's a stripped down roadster that was never meant to be used for any distance riding, or being MODIFIED for distance riding. I have to convert it to a totally different bike to make it even slightly usable for it.

So, forward controls to make any seat but stock work. Extensions on them because I'm 6'1 and my legs are cramped on the stock forwards. Bars because the new laid-back position doesn't work with the stock risers.
2013 ZL1 Camaro
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.
Dislike

Fear Night
Pure [M]ayhem
Fear Night
Pure [M]ayhem

Aug 30, 2008 #5410

I sat on the Low and Nightster models before I made my final decision. I didn't like the mid mounted controls at all, feels like I'm riding on my 4-wheeler with the seat 6" lower. Very cramped for me (6'2") but for somebody under 5'10" it might be ideal.

Here is a comparison of both the Custom and Roadster so you can see what lopoetve is talking about: 2008 Sportster 1200 C vs R. The seat height of the R is almost 2" higher. That doesn't sound like much, but believe me it is significant. My buddy I ride with has a Dyna Low Rider with a seat 2" lower than my Sportster C and his bike feels way lighter than mine (even though it's over 100lbs heavier).
Dislike