Made the Cadi a little bit cooler (pics)

Typhoon43
Pure [M]ayhem
Typhoon43
Pure [M]ayhem

Feb 22, 2017 #1

Literally.

Finally had a day off and installed my 1.7 gallon reservoir and Varimax pump for the Intercooler loop.

First I had to remove the engine cover trim, strut tower, and the bumper, which I'm slowly becoming a pro. Did I say pro? Oh wait, I meant TOTAL DUMBASS, because in pulling the bumper off, I realized after the fact that I had zip tied my HID wiring so snuggly that it pulled the wires out of the actual Bulb. SCORE ONE FOR ME! grrrr....

Gettin' nekkid

The full Monty (also POR-15'd the top bumper support because it was rusty and I could see it through my grill.

I decided to convert the entire cooling loop from 5/8" to 3/4", so it required a new intercooler manifold. That means the lid and IC were coming off.

DAYYYYYUM That's a dirty Intercooler brick.. Oil separator ordered STAT.

Supercharger looks so-so. No rotor contact lines on the back wall, so maybe this 3rd unit is the proverbial charm.

New manifold vs. old. FEEEEEL THE FLOOOOOOW

Axed the stock metal lines and also wrapped all of the hose in black heat shield and tied them together with stainless steel zip ties.

Humpty Dumpty all back together again. You can see the reservoir hiding back in the passenger firewall corner.

I did Distilled water and Royal Purple Ice. So far my coolant are still 21-22° over ambient, but I haven't had a chance to beat on her with this rain, so I'm sure the recovery time will improve compared to stock pump/no reservoir. We'll see.
I'm the King of Wishful Thinking.....
Dislike

GhEttOrAiD
Pure [M]ayhem
GhEttOrAiD
Pure [M]ayhem

Feb 22, 2017 #2

third unit? you've had to swap your S/C out multiple times? why? is this a common thing
BlisterDick;25482810 wrote:PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Dislike

Typhoon43
Pure [M]ayhem
Typhoon43
Pure [M]ayhem

Feb 22, 2017 #3

GhEttOrAiD wrote:third unit? you've had to swap your S/C out multiple times? why? is this a common thing
Totally common. The snout isolators they use to keep vibration and noise down are spring loaded and wear down over time. GM gives a 120,000 mile warranty on the new blowers. I'm on my 3rd. The "fix" is to go with a solid isolator, but since those are 3rd party, IF your SC malfunctions for any other reason, you're up a creek. So I just bring it in when it starts rattling enough to truly annoy me. Once I pulley up it will have a solid isolator since that voids the SC warranty as well.
Dislike

GhEttOrAiD
Pure [M]ayhem
GhEttOrAiD
Pure [M]ayhem

Feb 23, 2017 #4

is the design different on the merc, do they have the same issues
BlisterDick;25482810 wrote:PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Dislike

BlisterDick
Pure [M]ayhem
BlisterDick
Pure [M]ayhem

Feb 24, 2017 #5

Typhoon43 wrote:Totally common. The snout isolators they use to keep vibration and noise down are spring loaded and wear down over time. GM gives a 120,000 mile warranty on the new blowers. I'm on my 3rd. The "fix" is to go with a solid isolator, but since those are 3rd party, IF your SC malfunctions for any other reason, you're up a creek. So I just bring it in when it starts rattling enough to truly annoy me. Once I pulley up it will have a solid isolator since that voids the SC warranty as well.
omg so technical i'm wet
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dislike

Typhoon43
Pure [M]ayhem
Typhoon43
Pure [M]ayhem

Feb 24, 2017 #6

GhEttOrAiD wrote:is the design different on the merc, do they have the same issues
The Merc had a clutch on the snout to regulate boost. They typically started to weep fluid after spinning them hard. My car made it to 89K before it started leaking. The LSA uses an electronic bypasss that looks like a small throttle body inside the blower snout.
Dislike

Jehannum
[M]afia

Mar 10, 2017 #7

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRb9bDEDXYy ... =sqctuning

My tuner just pulled 716HP out of a V today, his personal best on CTS Vs (he's done a couple) by about 50HP.
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Dislike

Typhoon43
Pure [M]ayhem
Typhoon43
Pure [M]ayhem

Mar 10, 2017 #8

Jehannum wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BRb9bDEDXYy ... =sqctuning

My tuner just pulled 716HP out of a V today, his personal best on CTS Vs (he's done a couple) by about 50HP.
UNF..

Yeah these cars take to mods reeeeally well.
Dislike